22.

a/n: trying to get through this hurt as fast as possible, that's why there are many timejumps. it'll get better soon, i promise. 

G R A C E

"Don't belong to no city
Don't belong to no man
I'm the violence in the pouring rain
I'm a hurricane"

Three weeks. It had been three weeks after I had broken up Billy. I hadn't seen him since I think he might've switched classes or he was just not showing up. I was glad because I didn't want to see him. Nancy and Jonathan cheered me up, always telling me stories and planning activities after school. I appreciated them for bringing me on their movie dates, but I was still feeling like a third wheel.

I was sitting on the steps of the stairs right now, reading a book. I had been having a lot of free periods since our Math teacher had caught another virus – they still hadn't found a substitute, and I used those to catch up on reading and having some alone time. Sometimes I would go to the library and hang out with Steve, but other times I really wanted to be alone.

"Hey, what are you reading?" someone asked. I turned around to see Peter sitting next to me. I didn't know that he was even allowed on school ground, wasn't he supposed to be at college?

"Uh, Charlotte Brönte." I answered. I gave him a small smile and closed the book. I know he had no idea who that was, but I appreciated him trying to make conversation.

He nodded at me with an improving look. "You were always quite the reader."

"Yeah, I still love it." I softly said. I didn't know what the reason was for this conversation, but it was dying down as soon as it had started up.

"Your birthday is coming up." he suddenly brought up. I had completely forgotten about my birthday, not even feeling like celebrating anything.

"You remember?" I asked. I didn't think Peter ever paid attention to me when we were together, but I guess I was wrong.

"Of course, I do. Can't forget the birthday of my favorite girl." he joked. My favorite girl, I repeated in my head. Why was he suddenly trying with me?

"Well, I am not going to celebrate, so don't worry." I said. I put my book back into my bag and closed it. I kind of tried to send him the message that I was preparing to leave.

"Shame, it's your eighteenth after all." he shrugged. He scooted a little closer to me, and because I was sitting against the railing, I couldn't move away from him. Didn't I make it clear that I wasn't interested in him at all? The answer to that question came quickly when he leaned in and tried to kiss me.

"Peter, what are you doing?" I asked, pushing him away. He looked at me confused as I awaited his answer.

"Don't tell me you don't feel it too." he whispered, trying to kiss me again. I laid both my hands on his chest and pushed him away.

"I don't know what you're talking about, but I am not in love with you anymore." I told him. This made him move away, giving me space to breathe again.

"Then why did you break up with Billy?" he asked me. Oh my god, was this guy really that dense?

"Because he broke my heart. I didn't break up with him for you, you didn't actually think that, did you?" I asked him. He looked down at his feet, not saying anything. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my bag, standing up and walking away. This was too much. I had barely gotten over Billy and there was already another man waiting in the corner, ready to snatch me up again. Could I please take a breather?