4.

B I L L Y

"Help me make the most of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever
Everybody wants to rule the world"

I woke up late. It was a Sunday, meaning that my father and Susan went to church while I stayed home with Max. I rubbed my eyes as I got up. after I'd put shirt on, I made my way to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Last night I didn't do anything special, but the party from Friday night was still fresh in my memory.

When I walked into the kitchen, I could see through the window that Max was skateboarding on the driveway. There was a plate on the counter with leftover waffles. I smiled a little, Susan was nice to me. I bet it wasn't my father's idea to leave some breakfast for me. I poured some maple syrup over the waffles before setting them on the table and lighting up a cigarette. Just as I took my first bite, Max came back in.

"You're awake." she noticed. I gave her a fake smile and took a drag of my cigarette.

"What do you want?" I asked rudely. She set her skateboard down and looked at me.

"Mom says you have to drive me to the arcade." she pointed out. Goddammit, Susan, I cursed. Why do you don't drive your kid yourself?

"Alright, then we're leaving in 10 minutes." I ordered. I pushed my cigarette out in the plate with my leftover breakfast.

In the bathroom, I quickly took a shower before getting dressed in my usual jeans and t-shirt. I tamed my hair to make sure I looked as good as I could get. You know, I might run into Grace. Not that I cared about her, I quickly thought. I took my denim jacket, pack of cigarettes and car keys. Max was already waiting by the door, ready to leave as well. We got into my car and I sped to the arcade. Max was silent for the whole ride. I quietly hummed to the beat of the rock music I had playing in the background. When we arrived, she was quick to get out.

"If you're not out in an hour..." I told her. She rolled her eyes and looked back at me.

"Walking home, yeah I know." she sighed.

"Hey! Watch the attitude, shitbird." I dared her. She closed the door and I pressed the accelerator to drive away. I could see her put up her middle finger in the rear-view mirror. What a little bitch.

I was originally headed towards the house again, that was until I spotted a familiar blonde head of hair. She wore a dark green skirt with a black long sleeve. She was back to being the Grace that I saw at the beginning of this week. The preppy, cute Grace. I honked and opened the window so I could talk to her.

"Hey, Peachy." I called her by the nickname I had made up the first day. She stopped walking and looked at me.

"Hi, playing at the arcade?" she joked. I was glad she didn't lose her sense of humor when she changed back into her normal outfit.

"Just dropping off my step-sister." I told her. She had was carrying a bunch of books, so I guess she just came from the library around the corner. "You need a ride?"

"Thanks." she said. She walked around the car and stepped in the passenger seat. "I have always been a sucker for Camaros."

"You know about cars?" I said, shockingly. I took a right to get on the road back to the house. Although I had no idea where I was supposed to go.

"Yeah, my-... I mean I know someone who knows a lot about cars." she explained. I secretly wondered what she was planning on saying first.

"Cool. So, where am I heading?" I asked her for directions.

"Uh, Loch Nora." she answered softly. Was she ashamed of living there? Some people at school told me about it and that it was the rich neighborhood of Hawkins.

"What books did you get?" I asked again. Just to start up conversation, because I couldn't give two shits about books.

"For reading." she said it like it was the most obvious thing ever. "You don't look like the person who likes books."

"I don't." I smirked. She laughed and shook her head before looking outside. "I was trying to make conversation."

"Okay, then I'll ask you a question. Why does the great Billy Hargrove move here from sunny California?" she asked me. I stopped in front of a light and looked at her.

"Sadly, not my choice, but my dad remarried and they thought a fresh start was a good idea." I explained. The car came in motion when the light turned green.

"What about your mom?" she said. I gripped the steering wheel tighter when her name came up.

"Nothing about her." I snapped at her. She was clearly shocked by my sudden mood change, so I decided to change the subject. "Which house is yours?"

"Uh, just stop here. I'll walk the rest." she offered.

"It's no problem, really." I kept going.

"Billy, stop the car. I want to get out." she suddenly sounded harsh. I abruptly stopped.

"You don't have to rush off." I spoke. I was calmed down again, but she was not having it.

"You don't just snap at someone like that and then expect them to be okay with it, Billy. That's not how you treat people." she said while gathering her books and stepping out of the car. I quickly locked the doors so she couldn't get out.

"Treat people? When did this turn into a lesson?" I asked her angrily. She rolled her eyes at me. I swear if she did that one more time...

"See? You're doing it again!" she called me out. "Now please get the lock off this thing so I can get out."

I did as I was told and she stepped out of the car. I was hoping she would turn around to look at me, but she didn't. She rounded the corner and I sighed. I screw everything up. I just don't know how else to act.

Putting the car in reverse, I turned around and made my way back to the arcade. There where fifteen minutes left till I had to get Max, so I would be there exactly on time. I felt bad for being such as ass to Grace. She was just curious in getting to know me. She also was the only one who didn't seem afraid of me or to call me out.

I honked when I arrived at the arcade. Max got out, and I saw that boy from earlier. I got mad at her a few days ago when I saw her talking to him, and I went way out of line. This time, I decided to not make a point out of it. Find a way to control my anger.

"You ready?" I said, as Max climbed in. She just nodded. We drove home in silence. When we got there, our parents where still out, since my car was the only one in. Max got out and walked in the house, going straight to her room.

I decided to blow off some steam in the garden shed. Might as well get my anger out of a boxing ball instead of my step-sister. I thought about what Grace said. I couldn't just be mean to people for no reason. Although, with some there was a reason. My father for example, but he was also the only one that I didn't stand up to.

song at the beginning is: everybody wants to rule the world - tears for fears