Chapter 12

Demetrius and Raphael sat across from each other at a wrought iron table on a balcony overlooking the Ancient’s vast property. The warm breeze ruffled through the trees, the sky was clear. Demetrius ran his finger along the china cup filled with warm blood. His blind eyes stared off in the distance. Something was on his mind.

     Raphael noticed his friend’s worry. “What’s the matter?” He asked. “You’re keeping something from me.”

     Demetrius shook his head with a smile. “Can I not hide anything from you?”

     “For as long as I’ve known you, you were always a terrible liar.” Raphael chuckled. “It’s quite enjoyable actually; everyone else, all they do is try to deceive me.”

     Demetrius knew that his friend was referring to Shathra. “Is that woman still pestering you?”

     “When does she stop?” Raphael exclaimed, sipping from his own cup. “She has new reasons to wear down my ears lately: trying to get me to meet with some ex-slayer.” He rolled his eyes.

     The younger vampire feared these words. “Exactly what I was worried about.” He admitted. “I’ve been having dreams again, Raphael.”

     Raphael knew that his dreams were very serious things. He only dreamt of the future, and he was always incredibly accurate. “What have you Seen?”

     Demetrius sighed. “That man Shathra speaks of, he intends to do away with you.”

     The oldest vampire couldn’t help but laugh. “I doubt he’d manage to. I’ve defeated hundreds of assassins, what would make him any different?”

     Demetrius forced a smile. “I know you are incredibly powerful.” He said, choosing his words carefully. “But this man is unlike any other who has ever tried to kill you. He has a rage rooted deep in his heart and he’s been conspiring with other Ancients.”

     “Let him come.”

     Demetrius cut off Raphael. “Please, head my words, friend.” He said. “I have Seen it, if you meet with this man, you will die.” His voice was deadly serious.

     Raphael had never known Demetrius’ predictions to be false. He paused, thinking. “How much has been revealed to you?”

     “It’s terrible.” Demetrius said. “This slayer, he is working with not only Shathra, but Asmodeus as well. He wants to kill you and the vampires want to overthrow you.” In every one of his dreams, Raphael had always been shown falling to his death and the darkest vampires taking his place. Demetrius would never answer to any other vampire but Raphael. The oldest vampire was great, but he was not indestructible.

     Raphael was silent in thought for a while. “Maybe we can use this to our advantage.” He said. He was enraged that Asmodeus still plotted against him, but not surprised in the least. Especially if Shathra was involved, she could get almost any man to do anything for her. However, she could not take over until she was initiated, so she would have to wait until after that before she could send the slayer after him. In the meantime, maybe he could flip this in his favour.

     Raphael grinned. “Stress no more, Demetrius.” He said. “I have an idea.”