Chapter 42: Forgiving

Start from the beginning

Peridot looked up at me, noticing the fear in my face, and she leaned in and licked my cheek until I was giggling.

"Enough, enough!" I exclaimed, my arms around her furry face. "You're slobbery!"

Peridot barked a very quiet bark and cocked her head in the direction of the vampires. It wasn't going to be long until they were on our trail again. She motioned for me to get on her back, so I did. I wrapped my arms around her neck and held on as we began to run very, very fast. The vampires were hot on our trail. As we ran, Peridot threw her head up into the air and howled. That would certainly get the attention of the other wolves. Peridot kept running, occasionally whimpering when she looked back at the vampires.

"It'll be okay," I whispered, scratching her head between her ears. "Just keep running. They'll come soon."

Just as I said that, I noticed other wolves running by our side. They looked over at me occasionally, appearing concerned. The vampires had snuck past them, and now they were after me. It wasn't exactly the best of situations. Peridot looked back at the vampires, then at me, whimpering again. I leaned in, letting her nuzzle my cheek.

"It's okay," I whispered. "Just keep going. We'll be okay."

She whimpered, staring right into my eyes. I pressed my forehead against hers and held her face close to mine.

"I'll be okay," I said. "I'm gonna be okay. I promise."

I heard one of the wolves bark, and Peridot's head shot up again. We began to move faster than before. I could feel the wind trying to blow my hair off of my head. Suddenly, Peridot made a sharp turn, and the rest of the wolves stayed back. I knew where we were going. Back to the house. Then I remembered Turquoise.

"The baby!" I shouted. "Go! Go! Hurry! I have to get to my baby!"

Peridot listened to me and frantically began to run faster. I saw the house getting closer and closer. I needed to be inside. My baby was in there.

We finally got to the door, where Peridot let me off and rushed to push me inside. I closed the door as she got all four of her paws in, then we ran into the bedroom. I sighed as soon as I saw that Turquoise was fast asleep in her crib, safe and sound. Peridot followed me to the crib, from which I picked the baby up. When her head touched my chest, she awoke from her sleep and snuggled closer to me. I was overwhelmed with my love for her right then, and the tears began to fall. Peridot stepped to the side as I sat down on the floor next to her, holding our daughter close and sniffling. Peridot nuzzled the baby's cheek. She made a curious noise in response. That's when it occurred to me that Turquoise had never seen Peridot like this before. It was new to her. I leaned closer to Peridot as Turquoise began to reach for her. I smiled even more as her tiny hand came into contact with Peridot's blonde fur. Peridot closed her eyes and leaned against the baby's hand. It was such a sweet thing to watch.

I saw Peridot look up toward the window. I followed her gaze and noticed that the commotion had come back closer to the house. Peridot looked back at me and whimpered, clearly hesitant to go back out. I laid one hand on her cheek and leaned in, placing my head on her forehead.

"I'll be okay," I said. "You go. Go out there." Peridot barked anxiously, then she licked my cheek once. "Go. Go, Peridot."

Peridot looked back at the window, then at me. She barked angrily and nuzzled the side of my face.

"I'm safe in here," I argued. "Someone has to look after the baby."

Peridot finally gave a surrendering whimper, taking one last chance to lick my cheek. I kissed her nose and sent her off. She walked out of the room, of course looking back at me one last time, then she finally ran outside.