Chapter 10: Traveling Trials and Ambiguous Adoration

Start from the beginning

After walking a bit of the way up the path he came to another small platform that jutted out into the open air. It was located next to a shrine so it wasn't too difficult to find. The music slowly began to get louder and louder as he crossed the small bridge to the shrine. Kass was standing in the center of the wooden platform and was playing a nice melody on his accordion. Revali had to take a moment to appreciate the craft. It wasn't everyday that a wonderfully smooth song could come out of such a brash instrument. He delighted in a minute or two of the tune before making his presence known. Clearing his throat.

"Oh, hello champion! Wonderful to see you," Kass was quiet but was still able to have some excitement in his tone. He stopped playing and turned to face him, noticing the other Rito tapping his talon on the wood. "What brings you here, are you taking me up on my offer?"

Revali remembered the offer of music and small talk and obliged. "Yes actually, that sounds fabulous. I was hoping to speak to you in private," Kass blinked at this. He realized that this must have been related to yesterdays events.

"Yes, of course. Please, join me in my home. My little ones are with Amali, practicing their singing, so my house is empty," Kass explained as they walked back across the wooden bridge. It slightly swayed in the wind while they finished crossing. Revali was directed towards a nearby home and entered under a blue fabric which covered the front. The entrance was quite large so Kass was able to walk freely without having to dip his head down like with some of the other abodes. Revali sat down on a light blue carpet that was accented with white geometric shapes on its perimeter. Instead of crossing his legs he sat on his knees and put his wings in his lap. He patiently waited while Kass went about his business putting a kettle on a fire and the earthy smell of tea drifted through the air. He poured them each a cup and presented one to Revali.

"So, I assume that this has something to do with yesterday. Am I correct?" Kass said almost immediately. Revali didn't even have a chance to put the cup to his beak before he pulled it away from his face, letting out a breath.

"How did you know exactly how that was going to play out. I was a complete mess and I would've stayed that way if not for your assistance. After you encouraged me to give it another go we immediately made up. How did you do it?" Revali posed the question to Kass in between taking sips of his tea. It smelled faintly of honey and was very hot, it warmed his stomach and actually relieved some of his nausea.

"How did I do it? It's not exactly a science per se. People are very complex and emotions are almost that complexity but tenfold. All I know is how to offer someone help when I know they need it, even if they don't themselves," Kass answered after taking a longer sip of his drink. He set it aside and adjusted himself, sitting down and crossing his legs.

"It's still just so... miraculous I guess. I will be honest with you, I thought my friendship was over for a while there. I thought I had pushed away the first person who's been kind to me in years. How did you know that'd he'd forgive me?" Revali continued to drink as he talked, draining his cup. He was feeling much better now and was able to put more strength into his voice.

"Heed my words, if there was anyone in this world to stay loyal to the end, it's that boy. He is one of unnatural strength and unparalleled kindness," he grabbed the kettle nearby and poured them both some more tea. "I know him as you do and I know what he is capable of. Even if someone were stuck in the deepest, darkest pit in the world i'm sure he'd dig them out with his own two hands. There is more to it than that though. I promise that I will answer your question fully, but first. Let me tell you a tale, it's relevant to what you're questioning about me," Kass sat the kettle back down before looking him right in the eyes.

"I've seen him in battle and I can tell you with certainty that he has the potential to become the very embodiment of death," Kass didn't joke or smile, he spoke with complete seriousness, "On one of the occasions our paths crossed I just so happened to be in an unsafe area. I was in the Pagos Woods tracking down the location of a serpentine shaped river. I was distracted momentarily while reading my map and a few Lizalfos sprang from the nearby river. I thought I was a goner until two of them fell instantly, hitting the dirt. Multiple arrows sprouted from their chests. Before I could question it a flash of light surged past me and the third Lizalfo in front of me tumbled, cleaved in two. When I looked ahead I saw the hero crouching on the ground with sword in hand. Before I could even breath another two Lizalfos jumped out of the water trying to plunge their spears into him. He didn't even move as they approached, I was about to shout out to warn him. All of a sudden the spears struck the place where he was standing, he was gone."