7

A figure tentatively peeks out from behind the bush. I walk a little closer trying to see who or what is hiding there and i am startled and oddly pleased to realize its Zia.

She looks god awful. Her pretty sienna colored hair has streaks and clumps of red that i can only assume are dried blood. Scratches adorn both her arms. there's a split in her lip, a gash on the side of her forehead and her clothes have rips and what looks like scorch holes.

"Zia "i say lowly trying to sound as none threatening as possible.

Her movement says shes in shock, defense mode and shaken by whats happened.

"Zia" i try again. "Its ok it's me Ayla".

She finally recognizes me as her eyes shift towards me, assessing me from head to toe. No doubt trying to figure out if I'm truly a friend or foe. I can completely understand her hesitation.

Just then Emil comes back. His huge bear snout carrying a deer carcass. Its neck ripped open. I would actually be disgusted by the sight had i not been so hungry i could eat the deer raw and the bear Emil himself. 

He drops it at my feet as if to show off or something. I step away from it and look at him. I've never cut up freshly killed meat. Does he seriously not know that?. Im not a shifter.

Jesime steps up beside me and unsheathes a knife at her thigh. She kneels and starts to carve up the deer. 

Emil changes back and reaches to dress himself. I look toward Zia again.

"what happened to you".

She just shakes her head violently. I guess she doesnt wanna say. I imagine this day has been a nightmare. For us all actually.

I sling my arm around her and guide her to sit on the grass near Taron who has started to collect sticks for a fire. I glance towards lucinda. She just sits in the grass near where jesime is carving the deer staring into the distance.

She seems lost in her own world. We all are in some ways lost in our thoughts as we process what has happened.

Our lives in The Order where simple. Train, graduate, take up a job, a spouse and procreate.

Now who knows. I, despite all that has happened and my worry for my parents am glad to escape that bleak life. I wanted more and now for the first time it may be in my reach. 

I continue to hug Zia close as i watch Taron finish constructing his pile of firewood. He conjures his fire and shoots it toward the pile. Instantly its lit with flames that glow blue then turn to a regular orange red hue. I'm always awed by Taron's fire i swear. I've seen other elementals  fire but Taron's always strikes me as the most beautiful.

I must have been admiring him too long because he notices and looks towards me with a knowing smirk on his face. I quickly look away. i don't wanna give him any more incentive to flirt especially with his regular fuck buddy present.

Jesime walks toward the fire and starts placing carved meat on a rock in the fire to cook. Emil continues her carving work. He seems concentrated, His muscles bulging and flexing as he labors over the carcass.

He glances up towards Taron 

"Where is the closest facility located?"

Taron hesitates seemingly in thought but is interrupted before he can answer.

"The eastern Order." Its located two states over". Murkan murmurs

"Well i guess that's where we are heading". Get all the rest you can it will be a long day tomorrow". 

Emil states standing to drag away the carved up deer towards the forest, having finished cutting out all the edible parts.

I'm thankful too , although i understand the necessity of survival. That doesn't mean i wanna look at or smell the dead animal all night. 

Jesime starts handing out the meat, skewer style. I look at Zia when shes  handed her piece but she doesn't make a move to take it. She still trembling. I take it from jesime. 

"Zia you have to eat". Come on". I try gently.

Still nothing.

"If those assholes try to take us again you need to be  strong". Nova says from beside Lucinda her eyes on Zia sympathetically. 

That does the trick, she snatches the stick from me and starts chewing the meat heartily. 

When its my turn to get meat surprisingly its Emil who brings it to me. He looks unsure nervous even. I cant imagine why ,nonetheless i take the meat, murmur a thanks and expect him to retreat back to his place beside jesime. Instead he just stands and stares intensely. 

I shift uncomfortable not sure what he's waiting for.

"It's good". I say "Your a good hunter". I add encouragingly hoping that's what he wanted to hear and he will leave now.

Still he stands there staring. Just when I'm about to reach my patience he turns and storms away. i see Jesime glaring at me hatefully and jealously?

I ignore her and everyone else and once again I'm left thinking if i did something to offend him. I decide he isn't important there are many things to worry about, he isn't one of them.

I chew on my meat contemplating. Tomorrow we journey to the next facility. It will be challenging and tiresome.

What will we find?. How different will it be?. Will they accept us and offer sanctuary?. Will they even believe us when we explain everything?. Nova walks closer to me and Zia as we finish our meager meal.

As the night wears on Lucinda is snapped out of her desolate mood and is hugged up intimately with Taron.

He holds her back a bit more reluctantly. Nova lays near me on my right and Zia on my left. Jesime is laying near Emil although he lays a few feet apart from her.

Murkan of course lays the farthest from the fire by himself. I'm more than grateful it's a warm spring night. I'm dressed poorly for a cold night. We all are.

  The whole night there hasn't been much talk just the sounds of meat sizzling in the fire, chewing of mouths sating their hunger and the forest inhabitants scurrying about. There really hasn't been much to say. I expect we all are feeling apprehension about this upcoming trip east. 

I notice eyes on me i look left and see Taron looking at me. I cant read his expression but decide i don't want to.

He is  seriously hugging another girl while looking at me. I shake my head and try to sleep. The fire crackels near me and I let the sound lull me to sleep.

I dream of my parents in trouble and a man with violet eyes full of malice and evil.....................

Comment

Vote

Share

Thanks so much for reading!!!!