Reckless

April 14th, 2039 - 0347 pm

The edge of the rubber glove snapped on your wrist as you released it. The painkillers were now doing their job, and you could think more clearly. Hank followed not long after you entered the house, you heard his voice addressing Detective Collins outside the door as you crouched near the coffee table in the living room, a bright yellow evidence marker was on the floor near on the table's leg. Fine particles of Red Ice crushed on the dirty floor mixed with the dust and dirt.

Someone crouched beside you. "Acetone, lithium, thirium, toluene and hydrochloric acid," Connor listed as he analyzed the substance.

"Red Ice," You turned your head in his direction, and he responded with a simple nod. You stood up and met Hank's stare, arms crossed on his chest.

"What do we got?" He asked.

"Evidence my suspect was indeed dealing Red Ice. The woman who answered the door swiped everything clean, though." You sighed frustrated. "Damn it," You cursed under your breath. From the corner of your eyes, you saw Connor peeking his head into the basement. You turned the attention back to Hank whose gaze hadn't left your figure. "What?" You spat. He shook his head slightly, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. He scoffed and mumbled something before wandering further back in the house. You took a mental note to apologize to him later for your outburst earlier. You were still in shock from the encounter with your suspect.

You went upstairs to investigate the remaining rooms. Your gloved hands opened empty doors with mattresses laying on the dirty floor. You made your way to the place you had almost apprehended your suspect. An evidence marker was on the floor next to the wooden stick used by the woman. You winced at the sight of blood splatter covering one end of the wood, your hand instinctively going to your bandaged temple. The wound would last a couple of days, and it would be bruised for a good week or so.

"Detective," A calculated voice spoke your last name behind you. You jumped on your spot, your hand reaching to your gun as you other palmed your chest where your heart threatened to burst out from.

"Jesus, Connor," You exclaimed. "Don't sneak up on me like that," You breathed, steadying your raging heartbeat.

"I'm sorry, Detective, but I think you should come to take a look." He pointed down the corridor with his thumb. You followed the android to a room you had previously opened the door. Connor cautiously stepped inside, walking to the middle of the empty room. "Something's under these planks." And to prove his point, he tapped his heel; a hollow sound came from underneath. "Like a hidden compartment." He tilted his head in your direction.

"Can you get to it?" You asked, eager to see what could be hiding underneath.

"Of course, please, stand back." You took a step back and watched Connor swiftly kicking down on the spot he had shown you. The planks shattered and Connor's leg was now through the floor up to the middle of his calf. He retrieved his foot and crouched down to remove the remaining planks. You leaned over his shoulder to peek inside the hidden compartment.

A cell phone, an old model from a decade ago, laid still at the bottom of the dusty hole. Faint lined grazed the dust under the mobile device as if someone had taken the phone recently.

You pat Connor on the shoulder. He tilted his head to the side, his face dangerously close to yours. His LED flickered yellow for a brief moment before returning to its usual color, but you didn't see the change as your eyes focused on what could be a new lead.

"Congrats, Connor," You squeezed his shoulder lightly. You dove your hand in the hole and retrieved the cellphone, a satisfied smirk on your lips. "You have no idea how you just saved my ass. Come, we gotta show this to Hank," You left in a hurry downstairs, excited to show Hank your blow to the head wasn't for nothing. Connor straightened himself and fixed his tie before following you downstairs.