colder

April 4th, 2039 - 0934 am

As the sun hid behind grey clouds, the pouring rain soaked the few pedestrians brave enough to step outside. You hadn't seen the city in a long time, it felt strange to be back. The quiet streets, the construction sites on hold for an undetermined time, sale signs jabbed on front yards and 'to rent' signs plastered on shop windows; Detroit seemed emptier than when you left. The city was calm. Oddly calming.

The aftermath of the Android Revolution still lingered on the city that desperately tried to get back on its feet. A couple thousand left Detroit after the past events, Pro-Androids moved in, but it wasn't enough compared to the numbers of people who fled during the Revolution.

The American Androids Act was modified, allowing androids to wear any clothes they wanted even if they worked with the public, but their requirement is to wear an LED at all times. All previous androids who had removed theirs had to get a new one, and in exchange, they had the right to work, to own properties, and access to all public places. They were finally equal to humans.

They had the choice to keep executing the functions they were doing before becoming deviant, or they could pursue a different career. Cyberlife continued to provide androids for the public services and any fields that were lacking personnel, but it was now illegal to buy an android for yourself.

Nervousness and excitement overwhelmed you when you received the news from the Captain of LAPD that you were being relocated back to Detroit after your investigation. You were ecstatic, but anxious to see in what state the city was, and also to meet again with your friends and coworkers.

The autonomous taxi you were sitting in smoothly drove to Central Station, your old workplace. It stopped in front of the tall, prominent building and the doors opened in a swift motion. You grabbed your bag and the cardboard box containing your personal belongings and stepped into the drizzle. You shivered as the cold made your teeth chatter. The light coat you wore wasn't warm enough for the chilling air of Detroit.

You made your way into the precinct, stopping by the reception desk to receive your pass to enter the offices. A female android greeted you, her LED spinning blue at the sight of you. A smile spread on her lips.

"Detective," she said your last name with enthusiast. "It's been a while, welcome back!" She slid your pass on the counter. You nodded in gratitude and grabbed the pass.

You were taken aback by the lack of police officers in the precinct. The atmosphere felt cold and different from what you were used to. You made your way between the desks to Hank's. Your eyes scanned the wall with the articles rewarding him on his excellent work as a soft smile spread on your lips. Your stare traveled down to the frame picture of the Red Ice Task Force team of the precinct. There were words scribbled by Hank on it. You chuckled as you read your commentary. "Not that annoying."

His desk was still a mess, not surprising. You turned to the desk in front of his, lowering your card box on the white surface when something caught your attention. A nameplate read "Detective Connor." You stood still in front of the empty desk looking for some hints it could belong to someone, but nothing. Your eyebrows knitted together. Who in hell had the patience to sit in front of Hank? As far as you know, you had been the only one who could put up with him and his grumpiness. You looked around for another spot, but they were too far from your old partner. A lonely desk was next to Detective Connor and you shrugged before you swung your bag on it along with your box. It was now yours.