Chapter 11 - Adapt

Start from the beginning

"What the hell are three kids doing out here?" Leon asked in a non to friendly voice as he let the first little girl up. "Well?"

The first little girl crawled toward the other two as soon as Leon had let her go and shockingly she held her arms out forming a wall between them with her own body. Leon rolled his eyes and started back down the mountain side waving them off. "If you want to die out here be my guest you're not my problem."

He'd gone about another hundred feet or so before he heard footsteps behind him and when he turned he saw three tiny figures dart behind some rocks. He let out a sigh and told them to stop following him before he started out again. This time he didn't even back it step steps before he heard them following behind him. He stopped but this time he didn't turn around knowing that if he did they'd only hide again. So rather than look just kept on walking and the sounds of six little footsteps were right behind him all the way until he reached the base of the mountain. When he reached the bottom he stopped and waited until he heard the three kids' feet hit the ground behind him before he slowly turned around to look at them. The two younger ones immediately got behind the older one who by the look of her appeared to be around twelve maybe, and the others possibly six or seven.

The older one once again threw her arms out shielding the other two which only made Leon roll his eyes. "You know that is I wanted to get to those two you wouldn't stop me right?" Nothing, the girl didn't make a sound she just stood there with that determined look on her face as if she truly believed she could shield the two of them if she needed to. "Do you even understand what I'm saying?"

Leon rattled off the same question in four other languages, the first in Spanish, the next in French, then German, and finally in Russian. None of which got an answer or even a reaction from the little girl which didn't help him any. Finally he just gave up and kept on walking with his three little stalkers in toe as he entered the forest that sat about fifty feet from the base of the mountain. Finally after a few minutes of walking he decided to call Nick, if anyone lived out in these mountains he would, hopefully. When he asked the question Nick seemed puzzled and asked why he wanted to know, Leon told him and Nick sounded more annoyed than anything saying that he'd just kidnapped three kids. He heard Lauren in the background yell "He did what?" before Nick told him that he'd see what he could find.

All the while the kids watched him like he was insane which Leon didn't blame them for. If they really did live out here in the wilderness then it was only natural that they didn't know what an earpiece was and since they didn't seem to understand English he didn't see any point in trying to explain. Although... He stopped and looked at the three kids who took the familiar pose of hiding behind the oldest before Leon turned completely around and looked them up and down. They were wearing clothes that looked to be woven though out of what was anyone’s guess but it definitely wasn't wool, it looked more like straw to be honest. They wore leather on their feet and leggings made from the same thing their shirts were made of, and the younger girl's hair was tied back by some kind of twine. They didn't look it but Leon thought it was worth a try.

"Do you understand what I'm saying?" He asked in the language that demon's used out on the Chain. It was a very guttural language that involved a lot of tongue rolling and even though it was generally all demons' first language it was hardly used because it made humans uneasy. Astonishingly the little girl nodded her head and Leon sighed in relief at finally being able to talk to her. "What are you doing out here?"

"We got separated." She said with a series of tongue rolling and grunts, though her dialect was slightly different than what Leon was used to but he still understood. He asked what they got separated from the younger girl started to whimper. "Our family. The stones awoke and came crashing down on us. They dragged her mother away and we fell into the hole where the No-sees are."