Chapter 1 - Lauren

It's a boring chapter LOTS of talking but hey i gotta set up everything then we'll get to see these demons do what they do.

100 years into the future

"This is very good and thorough work Lauren," Prof. Trek said as he went over the near twenty page report on her Personal Electronic Tool (PET)  his hand occasionally moving up to run his thumb over the scar along his jaw that he'd gotten years ago. Lauren was looking on hopefully as he reached the final pages and clapped the tablet shut and removed his glasses. "Like always you offer an exceptional paper on the life of a former demon politician, but it seems like you're letting this class take priority over all your other ones."

Lauren let out a degruntled sigh brushing a strand of brown hair out of her face and looking her professor in the eye. "Is that was Hiezter said?"

"Not only him but also Prof. Jacobs, Kelly, and Griffon." Prof. Trek said fixing Lauren with one of his curious grins. "I know that demons are your passion Miss. Miller but you can't just forsake yur other classes or else flunk out."

"Its not like I'm failing," Lauren said her grip on her PET tightening under her arm as she brushed her hair out of her eyes. "I'm passing, just barely but I'm passing them. So what if I'm not doing some of the assignments, I'm acing all the tests so I can't flunk out."

"No but the board can rule to terminate your schooling for lack of preformence." Trek pushed his glasses up and checked his watch before sighing and putting a hand on Lauren's shoulder and giving her some instructions. "Look, you're probably my favorite student in this class your my second best right after that Saunders boy as far as everything in her is concerned. But he unlike you is excelling in all of his classes. Now knowing you like I do, I'm sure that you're five assignments ahead of schedule so I'm going to give you a special one."

"I'm actually seven assignments ahead..." Lauren began but the look that Trek gave her made her shut her mouth before asking what the assignment was.

"Well as you know that life in the 'demon world' can be dangerous Lauren and I'm not quite sure that it's something that you should be pursuing." Lauren felt her eyes growing larger and her mouth begin to drop as the words left his mouth. How could he say that, she wondered when she was one of his best students as he just said. Why would he think she wasn't cut out for this when she was so willing to forget about her other classes just so that she could get the highest degree possible for this class. "Think of this as a secondary test of sorts."

"What you taking a big steaming dump on my career choice?" She said in a sharp tone that made Trek sigh.

"Lauren let me finish." He said giving her a light shake and flashing a smile that was kind of hard to be mad at. "I'm just saying it's dangerous work to be involved with demons in anyway really, you never know when one might snap and go Savage. Which is why I recommend that you shadow a moderately succesful demon for a little while just so that you can get better insight on how they go about their lives. I'm not saying go and stay at the Chain for a month when there's plenty of demons here that you could look into."

"You know there are probably a hundered different ways that you could've phrased that professor." Lauren said before she let out a deep breath and nodded her head. "But I'll do it. How hard could it be, I'm friends with a lot of the demons around here after all."

                                                                *                *                * "No."

"No, what do you mean no?" Lauren asked as she followed her friend Talia along the sidewalk on their way toward their dorm. "I'm not going to attack you with questions 24/7 I just need to hang around you for awhile."