Chapter 39 - The Last Hurdle

~*~*~*~Leon~*~*~*~

Zant flew across the field like he'd been shot out of a cannon before he finally came to a stop by crashing into what had once been the Washington Monument. Leon scoffed as he slowly walked over to the other demon. He was finding it hard to believe that this guy was really Skorge's ace in the hole, aside from that very first punch that he caught when Leon first arrived his fighting was pitiful at best. There was a whirring sound as Leon approached Zant with a fully lit up arm, he was going to finish this right now and then get on to Skorge. Leon saw the way Bjorn shrank away when he saw him so he didn't have any doubts about Bjorn not getting involved, but that other demon Quinn gave Leon something to worry about. He didn't actually know what he could do so the way he figured it, he had to take him out quickly.

"You know for all that big talk you were sprouting off back there, you really aren't putting up much of a fight." Leon said as he neared Zant who was struggling just to get to his feet from the looks of it. He looked just as determined as before to try and fight Leon despite just how badly he was being tossed around. And that one image made Leon pause and rethink what he was about to do. "Look, just give up now and that'll be the end of it. Unlike the others I'm not big on killing other demons to stop this unless I actually have to. Give up and I'll let you go."

"Get over yourself." Zant snapped using the monument as to steady himself and using his arm he wiped the blood from his face and gash just above his left eye. "You think you can come in here and make us bend to your way of doing things? No, Skorge's way is the right way. He'll save this planet that is rightfully ours to begin with! Humans don't understand what it is they have, they're killing this world and refuse to see what it is we demons have done for them. It's not RIGHT! I'll die for this cause you little shit, if you can't see why then we have nothing to talk about and you should just kill me right now!"

"That's where you're wrong." Leon said placing his palm on Zant's forehead ready to let the explosion go off at any second. "I actually understand why it is you and your human-lollipop are doing this, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Human's are a nuisance who think they're untouchable just because we let them think they're in charge. I definitely think he's right in saying the world would be better off without them, but the second he threatened my family he signed his own death warrant.

"As did you I might add." Leon said as his entire arm began to give off a very harsh light. "You tried killing Natalia and then when I finally get here I find your lollipop is doing the same thing. See Natalia and I are going to be parents, having a shitty dad myself I intend to give that kid the best life I can. You two trying to rob me of that chance- well I'm sure now you can understand why I'm gunning for you."

Zant's expression told Leon that he actually did understand what it was he was saying just as Leon really did agree with Skorge's idea about a human-free world. Leon wouldn't have taken it to the extreme of slaughtering them all but he did think the world would be better off without them. But that didn't excuse him going after Nat. Zant closed his eyes as if waiting to be executed but Leon let the harsh red light die down and he let go of Zant all together before turning around. "Get out of here." Leon said looking straight at the stage where Skorge still stood. "I told you I'm not big on killing other demons, because unlike your lollipop I don't think I'm better than other demons. I don't claim to be some sort of god, I'm just a guy who wants his happy ending and I'm willing to burn this world down to the ground just like you guys if I have to in order to get it."

"Then you'll have to start with me!" Zant screamed as he tried hitting Leon in the back of the head with a bit of rubble that was bigger than his head.

Leon though saw it coming and avoided it before he grabbed Zant's face and he let all the pity he might've felt for Zant go. "Bang." His arm hummed before an explosion went off right in Zant's face. But rather than that being the end of it Leon was blinded by a white light coming from Zant's body that he let him go in order to shield his eyes.