Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I couldn't stop my wide grin as I watched him. His hips swished back and forth in an almost feminine movement and when he got to the bar, he leant forward to rest his arms on it, his arse sticking out slightly. Whether he was giving me a show or didn't even realise he was doing it, it was hot. 

I watched as an older guy sidled up to stand next to Jay at the bar, looking over him with a predatory glance. I felt my hands tighten into fists automatically. The stranger leant forward to whisper in his ear but he just laughed as if whatever the suggestion had been was ridiculous and turned back to the barman as he was served. The guy walked away, red-faced and furious. When Jay came back, hips swishing as usual, I said:

"What was that about?" 

"Ugh, some creepy old guy wanting to dance," he replied with a shrug, sliding in to sit beside me. His arm draped lazily over my shoulders again as he kissed my cheek. 

"Old? He didn't look that much older."

"He was, like, forty or something," he said, sounding offended. 

"Jay, you're twenty-nine. That's nearly thirty," I pointed out. 

"Hey!" he said with another pout. "Just because you're four years younger than me."

He crossed his arms and pretended to sulk. At least, I think he was pretending. I laughed and leant up to kiss his jaw. 

"Cheer up, grumpy," I said in his ear softly before tugging at his lobe with my teeth slightly. 

When I looked up, Ollie and Finn were looking around the bar, searching for us. I waved to catch their attention and pointed to the seats opposite Jay and I. 

"So kind of you to get drinks for us too, darling," Finn said, seeming happier than he was before. 

"I was getting harrassed by some old guy, thank you very much."

Ollie laughed slightly. "Dressed like that, I'm not surprised. You're basically asking to get raped."

Jay's face fell immediately and I could practically hear his heart breaking. Ollie seemed to realise exactly what he'd said and how that affected Jay with his past, his eyes going wide. 

"Oh my God, Jay, I'm so sorry! I didn't-- I mean, Jesus," he said, rubbing his hands over his face. "I'm so so sorry, I didn't mean to say that."

Jay downed half of his beer in one quick go. He gave a slight shrug, turning his face away so he didn't have to look at Ollie. 

"S'fine," he muttered, though I could hear the tears beginning to line his throat. It clearly wasn't fine. 

I chewed on my lip, deliberating on what to do. I glanced at Finn, who was looking panicked and murderous at the same time, glaring at Ollie with a gaze that would have had him falling to his knees and begging for forgiveness if he'd actually noticed it. I squeezed Jay's hand and stood. 

"Come dance with me," I said to him with a reassuring smile. 

He just looked at me for a moment, confused. I smiled wider and tugged on his hand, trying to get him up. He seemed to get the message and stood, following me to the little dance floor in front of the stage. The music that was playing was soft, slow. Romantic. 

When I pulled Jay against me, I ended up leading our dance, much to my dismay. Nevertheless, I took a deep breath and wrapped an arm around his waist, holding him close while my other hand laced through his. He put his hand lightly on my hand, just resting it there without holding. The touch was reassuring for both of us, I think. 

"You know he didn't mean it," I said softly, swaying with him in time to the music. 

He nodded slightly but otherwise stayed quiet. After a minute or so, he sighed and dropped his head onto my shoulder - which was quite a way for him. I took my arm from around his waist and stroked his hair slowly. I felt his little smile against my neck.