5.1

"Shhh!"

I lower my voice, despite the mild panic coarsing through my veins.

"What are you DOING here? You could ruin the entire plan!"

"I know. I just - I had to be here, okay? I have to.... Know." She says, shrugging.

Something in the gesture stops me and I really look at her. Going so far as to dress in this getup , she is just a girl in love.

I was in love, once. With a boy who didn't love me back.

My former best friend. Fine as heck, with curly hair I would wash, just for an excuse to run my fingers through . It was soft hair, brown. He had skin the color of chocolate and pillows lips the shade of lip balm. Tall, with the physique of a basketballer.

He was the reason I came to Edgewood.

A decision I now regret.

Because now that I look back, that was the Rubicon. The point of no return for me.

I didn't even know I was in love with him, until Melanie.

Melanie, who was petite and perfect, how guys liked them.

Melanie, whom I told everything about Dante.

Melanie, who took him from me.

No.

She didn't take him. He is a big boy, not an object that can be taken. He was with her of his own volition.

I tell myself I don't care.

But I do.

It hurts, still.

This is not the story of how Dante broke my heart. It's the story of how Melanie betrayed me.

It started with the perfect dress.  I'd gotten it during the holidays for prom. When I saw it, I knew it was the dress that would change things between Dante and me. But I was wrong about how, really.

When school resumed, I showed the dress to Melanie excitedly, unknowing the kind of witch I was talking to.

I'd gone to do my makeup in a neighbouring room. When was done, I went back into my room for my dress.

Shock spread through me as I saw my dress. It was ruined. Orange soda had been splashed across it's bodice.

Melanie came in and met me crying. She fixed my makeup, and sent me off with a  (decidedly less fashionable) dress of hers.

I was talking to Dante when she came into the ballroom. I knew something was wrong when I saw his eyes widen and pose straighten as he looked behind me.

I turned and couldn't believe my eyes. She was wearing my dress. My dream dress, pink, mermaid style, with French lace overlay.

What was maybe more shocking was when my best friend took her in his arms, planted one square on her lips, and said, "You look gorgeous, babe."

She gave him a radiant smile, one that I then knew contained poison.

And then they turned to me. Dante explained that they had started dating a few weeks earlier and we're waiting till prom to tell me. I half expected him to yell, "SURPRISE!".

I was trapped. There was nothing I could do but smile and nod. Then, I pleaded a headache and excused myself. Not that they cared, judging by the way they were so wrapped up in each other

The first thing I did was look for my dress. There it was, stained on the bed. It then became clear to me what Melanie had done.

When the witch came back, I was waiting for her.

She had a dreamy smile on her face that evaporated at the sight of mine.

"Kayla," she tried. "Did you have a good time? "

"How," I hissed. "Could you do this to me?"

Her face changed into a placid expression. " Kayla." she began in soothing tones. "I'm not sure what you mean-"

"You buy the same dress as me, ruin my dress so I can't wear it, and now you're stealing Dante too?"

"You and Dante aren't in a relationship. And you will never be. Have you taken a look in the mirror? "

She would be taking a lot of looks soon though, because of what I did next.

I punched her. Hard.

She fell on her tiny bottom and I stormed out the room, going to cool off at a friends room where I slept for the night.

The next day, I applied for substitution of roommates.