II Flame

The tall doors to the Red Hall opened for them with a loud creak, and within stood the Flame Contessa.

They had reached the first of the Queen's circle. And the Contessa, it seemed, had been anticipating their arrival.

"Come in!" she said, leading the guests inside. The Caster followed without resistance, and so the Princess went along as well. She had counted on many things, but not the sort of welcome the Contessa greeted them with.

The Caster shot the Princess a glance, cautioning for her to stay watchful, though he saw she needed no reminding. She was just as wary as he was of their host.

A large and plump woman, the Flame Contessa blathered on and on while they walked, much to the Princess's annoyance. Flaring colors made up the Contessa's wardrobe and overall resplendent appearance. At times the Princess had to squint her eyes; it was like staring at fire itself.

"It's been such a long while since I've seen the Queen's son," said the Contessa. "Your mother, Her Royal Majesty, has informed us of your arrival. It's a marvelous day indeed! You've grown much taller and broader than when I've seen you last, and you've even brought a girl with you. She does seem a bit too skinny for me – all skin and bones, ack!" She crinkled her nose in disgust. "I personally don't like it when there's not much meat on them, but what can one do? One simply has to make do, don't we? I should guess her pretty face makes up for her lack of meat." A rude snigger escaped her.

The Princess sighed; the Contessa was trying her patience. Was the mindless banter necessary? She wondered for how long she would have to put up with it. Nevertheless, it continued until they reached the dining chamber.

The Contessa ushered them. "Here we are! Sit sit."

The Caster and the Princess sat by the long table as they were told, and the Flame Contessa did the same. Before them, warm dishes had already been laid.

"Don't be shy, eat your fill! We must definitely fatten you up," the Contessa bid the Princess.

For weeks, the Caster and she had relied on tasteless meat from hunted game. Even so, the Princess did not find the steaming dishes appetizing. A whiff of the smoke was almost enough to make her sick, the smell quite repulsive.

Perhaps she had eaten too many mulberries that morning. One look at the Caster, however, made her think otherwise.

The prince's eyes, grim and inconsolable, were set on the food. "How many children have you butchered for this meal, Auntie?"

"Oh, just a few," the Contessa answered, clapping her hands together. She chuckled. "I would have cooked more if your visit wasn't on such short notice."

Nausea welled up inside the Princess. Clearing her head, she willed her mind to dissipate any thoughts of the slaughtered children. She would not take any more of this woman's distasteful chatter and would tarry no more.

The Princess stood, abruptly knocking over her chair, and drew her glaive against their host.

"Oh dear, forgotten our manners, haven't we?" The Contessa cackled. "Did no one in your family ever teach you proper manners, young lady? Oh, that's right," she said, standing from her seat. "You don't have a family. Her Majesty has made sure of that."

The Flame Contessa's eyes burned, her red hair rising like fire, and all at once the dining chamber was alight with flames.

Taken unawares by the rushing flames, the Princess almost let a fiery henchman past her guard. She stabbed the elemental with her glaive, and it turned into smoke and perished.

Their escape was blocked by the fire, trapping them, as more of the henchmen came to attack. As the Princess and the Caster had known all along, they were going to have to fight their way out.