Chapter 32 - Funeral

Cascais, Portugal

The Ribeiro villa bustled with activity during the wake.  Riley helped with preparing and serving food while Connor and his sisters greeted guests, accepting heartfelt condolences while the husbands kept watch over all the kids outside.

Each offer of apology and condolences, no matter how sincere or heartfelt, was like a dagger twisting Connor's heart.  The only thing that kept him going through it all was seeing Riley give an understanding smile whenever they were in the same room.

He had only slept for a couple of hours the previous night.  It was not due to their activity, either.  Riley fell asleep shortly after the one coupling. The stress of the family's loss was taking a deep toll on him.

As the sisters bid farewell to the last of the visitors, Connor went in search of Riley.  The kids were all asleep and darkness was heavy in the sky.  He finally found her in their room just exiting the bathroom fresh from a shower. It only took seconds before his arms wrapped around her.  Riley willingly held him back tightly knowing he was emotionally burdened and drained simultaneously.

"Go take a shower then let's sleep," She smirked.  "You need to rest."

Connor nodded sleepily, entering the bathroom to take his shower.  By the time he came out dressed only in boxers, Riley was already in bed but not sleeping.  He crawled in beside her and Riley draped an arm over his waist.  Her fingers lightly danced over his shoulder, tickling in a relaxing motion much like she would do for Kaylee if she had trouble falling asleep.

Watching his eyelids droop, Riley smiled at her success.  Her soft singing voice soothed Connor as she sang Once Upon A Dream from Sleeping Beauty.  It always helped Kaylee relax and apparently the same effect was happening to be effective on Connor.

The light, steady breathing coming from his slightly parted lips told Riley he finally was asleep. Connor's arm draped over her as well and kept them in a cocoon of warmth as Riley fell asleep, too.

****

"Kaylee!" Riley called.  It was the next morning and everyone was bustling about after breakfast getting ready for the funeral procession. "Are you dressed and ready?"

"Yes, Momma," Kaylee called.  She emerged from her room in a black sleeveless dress that had white daisies around the waist.  Her blonde locks pinned neatly with a white bow.  "Tio John helped with my hair."

Riley smiled her happy approval not only at her daughter's ensemble but at hearing her call Connor's brother-in-law 'Tio'.

"You look beautiful," Riley complimented.  "Head downstairs with the other kids.  You will all be staying with me during the procession, OK?"

She happily skipped off toward the stairs which left Riley free and able to finish getting dressed.  Her hair was curled into ringlets and pinned up on the sides but she hadn't gotten dressed past the black satin slip.

Connor exited the bathroom tightening his black tie.  He looked sexy in his suit.  Riley would never get tired of seeing him dressed to the nines like this.

"You look delectable," Riley grinned.  Connor gave a weak smile but she knew it was because of the emotional burden he carried.

Crossing to her suitcase, Riley took out her black sheath dress and slipped it over her head.  It was prudent they all brought black attire just in case. Struggling with the back zipper, Connor's warm hands stilled hers as he finished up her dress.

"I can't thank you enough for being here," He mumbled against the nape of her neck through her curls.

Riley reached back to stroke his neck and lean against his chest. "You would do the same for me."