I.30 The Galads

In first period they had the girls of our class assemble outside and line up so a photographer could take our photos for the yearbook. The photographs were taken in different locations: in front of the main building, in the schoolyard and in the park. When we were done, we hung out in the cafeteria, waiting for second period to begin.

"Tonight there is going to be a meeting of the Galads," Eleanor Bradford addressed me. "How would you like to visit and introduce yourself, Hart? You are a nice girl. If you apply for membership, I am sure the committee would take it into consideration."

I noticed that the others had stopped talking. Everybody appeared to be listening, waiting for my reply.

"Um, who or what is a Galad?"I inquired.

"They are a bunch of self-important busybodies who think that they run the school," Natty declared.

Bradford shot her an angry look.

"Don't listen to her," she advised me. "The Galads are the students' society of St. Albert's. We meet at least five times per month. And yes, we do assist the school authorities in running the school, in many ways. We take on all kinds of responsibilities. Most of the prefects and many of the tutors are members of the Galads. We also organize events like the summer fest and the excursions, and we do fundraising for St. Albert's as well. Carol, Dorothy, Barbara and I all are members."

I noted that she had listed the group of 'rich girls' in our class.

"Mallory is a member too, and Langden and Burns have only recently applied for membership," Barbara Lane added.

"What about Morgan?" I asked, in an attempt to gain time.

"Morgan is not a Galad yet." Eleanor Bradford turned towards Erin. "But I keep telling her that she really ought to apply for membership. Morgan would be a natural Galad."

"You know how I feel about that," the Welsh girl replied calmly. "As long as Eunice's application is rejected, I will not consider joining."

"At the time, the committee decided that Ndemba did not qualify." Bradford looked distinctly uncomfortable now. "However, she could reapply anytime."

"I will not reapply," Ndemba stated categorically. "Never."

"See, the Galads are not just a bunch of snobs but a bunch of bigoted snobs," Natty cut in.

"Surely it's not as bad as that, Nat," Mallory Carmichael remarked.

"You would say that, wouldn't you?" Natty retorted.

Mallory shrugged. "Not everybody is as opinionated as you are."

"Or as opportunistic as you are, Mallory," Natty shot back.

For a moment, the tension between the two girls was palpable.

"Did you ever apply for membership, Natty?" I asked her.

"The more relevant question is, was I ever invited to visit a meeting," Natty replied.

She sounded bitter.

"Whatever some people here may think, the Galads have no prejudices or biases of any kind," Bradford declared. She turned towards me again. "So, will you come to our meeting tonight, Hart?"

"Thank you for the invitation. But I am afraid that I will have to decline," I told her.

"That's a pity," Dorothy Barnett commented.

Mallory glanced at me, with an expression on her face that was somewhere between amusement and regret.

During second period, I recapitulated what I had learned about the Galads. Natty had claimed that they were just a bunch of rich snobs. Alright, the four 'rich girls' in my class, each of them a member of the Galads, fit that description.  What about Mallory Carmichael, though? Mallory was complex, but she could not exactly be described as a rich snob. Jessica Burns and Helen Langden were no members, but they had applied for membership, apparently. As had Ndemba, whose application had been rejected – a decision based on the color of her skin, or so Natty had insinuated. But if the Galads were known to be bigoted snobs, why had Burns, Langden and Ndemba applied in the first place?