Paranoia or Reality Chapter 14

Flathead Lake

It had been a few days since Thea had heard from Callen, and she couldn't dispel the worry that continued to eat at her. She'd lost how many times she'd vomited since arriving at the lake from it all.

Kensi looked over at her with worry. "Are you okay?"

Thea shook her head. "I'm literally sick with worry."

"What you need is some camomile tea." Hetty brought two cups and a pot of tea on a tray and laid it onto the table on the rear deck.

Kensi's mother, Julia, was in her element playing with the children on the lawn. She was a natural, and this surprised Kensi after being an only child—she thought her mother to be standoffish to children prior to her son being born. Now she saw another side to her mother with the Campbell children. A hint of a smile swept over her features, her hand going to her belly, thinking of their second child that was on its way. Wondering if it was a boy or a girl.

"Your mother looks happy." Hetty stood at the railing, looking out.

"She is. I never realised just how much she adores children."

"Did you ever ask her why she never had anymore?"

"No. I always assumed one was enough for her. She always looks well dressed, hair set and makeup done."

"None of that determines whether a woman loves children."

"No, I suppose it doesn't." Kensi's eyes shifted to the expansive sloped lawn and watched in the wonder of her mother's antics. It had been the right decision to bring her with them. Especially since she felt tired and was suffering from morning sickness. Her eyes darted back to her friend. She studied Thea, whom she's always known as their Analyst, Nell Jones, since she arrived at OSP. But after her kidnapping, Callen had taken her away to hide under new names. Thea had stuck, and the children only knew her by this, which is why the cover continued. And she supposed, it had kept them safe since Callen had been hunted over the years due to his family. A thought came into her mind. She noticed Hetty had entered the house again to her laptop, to keep in the loop of what was going on with their people in Paris.

Kensi cleared her throat. "You don't think that you being sick might be something else?"

Thea's eyes widened at Kensi's suggestion. Her mind whirled while she thought about the idea.

"It's possible." Her hand ran over her belly. It was flat even after three children that burned energy like a power station, keeping her on her toes.

"We should visit a drugstore while we're here, just to be on the safe side."

Thea nodded and sipped on her tea, watching her three children being entertained by Julia.

"She'll be worn out in no time."

"I think my mother is surprising even me."

Just then, the children ran up the hill and climbed the steps to where their mothers sat, breaking their peace and quiet. Their chatter broke the silence for the two friends.

"When's Dad coming?" Alice looked over to her mum and frowned. "Mom? Are you okay? You look pale."

There was no hiding from Alice.

"I'm okay. Thanks for asking." Thea rose and walked into the house towards the bathroom. The polished floorboards echoed her children's feet behind her. She sighed when she closed the door and sat down on the toilet. She closed her eyes and tried her cell.

"The number you have dialled is unavailable."

That was odd. Over the past couple of days, she'd been greeted by a voice saying the number was switched off. Not unavailable.