twenty-one: i'm a bad liar.

Start from the beginning

We walk for what seems like forever, but the reason is revealed when we are escorted into a private room. Which, I should've known. A private dinner is almost assumed when Andrew Moore is the host, right? Silly me.

So far, it looks like only Andrew and one other guest have arrived, both standing to greet Kate and I when we walk inside.

"You must be the famous Rylie." Andrew's statement catches me off guard, but I try to keep my nerves under control enough to answer him.

"That's me," I let out a nervous chuckle. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

"And I you," he replies, giving my hand a firm shake before letting me go. He gestures to the other guest, who doesn't look at all familiar to me. "This is Joe Alwyn, a dear friend and another member of the cast."

The name doesn't even ring a bell. This is going to be a long night.

The other actors in attendance that piled in after Kate and I were none that I recognized. Well, Matt Smith I recognized a little from previous late-night dives on Tumblr, but outside of that, everyone else's face is basically brand new. Lily James was the one bringing the date, which is Matt Smith himself.

So, with Andrew sitting across from me, Kate to my left and Joe to my right with Matt and Lily sitting in front of them (surprisingly, the couple didn't mind being split up, which only made me wonder if Shawn and I have been overplaying the couple charade because we can never seem to sit close enough), we began discussing the film.

I already knew it would be a period piece, set after WWII in England and America. But hearing Andrew discuss the fine details – he worked with a friend, Anni, when writing the script, so this wasn't a total one-man job – only makes me fall in love with the story even more.

"I know all of you have received your parts, but since this is your first role, Rylie," Andrew pauses, and I try not to focus on the shocked glances from around the table, "I wanted to tell you about yours in person."

I raise an eyebrow, trying to form a smile so I don't seem too skeptical. "Okay...?"

Kate squeezes my arm. "You better tell her before I burst."

"You know?"

"Rylie, you have the lead role. I want you to play Margaret."

I don't remember a lot of details of what happened after. I know I fumbled through some words of gratitude, probably saying how much I don't deserve this at all, before we toasted with a glass of wine to making the movie. I know Andrew didn't want to discuss the technical details – he wanted us to have fun and get to know one another, first and foremost – but he did say filming would begin in the middle of June.

Which, he looked to all of us, but mostly me, and noted that he made sure it worked with our current work schedules. I don't know if the wine in my system heightened my senses or not, but I felt as if everyone's eyes were on me then, wondering what current work I do if this is my first acting role.

First professional acting role, I have to remind myself. The wine helps my deep subconscious bring forth the memory of acting in a school play in elementary and middle school – something I intentionally blocked out of my conscious memories. Kate still thinks what I do now – with fake relationships and all – is real acting. But boy, if she knew how little acting goes into every day with Shawn, she wouldn't call it a real acting job.

Which is terrifying, really.

But, Andrew said he would send the technical details to our respective managers and agents to eventually get to us. After that, we stopped discussing the film as much and strangely the air shifted to us hanging out as if we're a group of old friends.