Chapter 23:

Evelyn's POV:

" Good boy Hugo "

I praised my big dapple grey baby as I slowly led him out to a small paddock. The paddock was designed for individual turnout or mares and foals. It was within view of the group paddocks, but further away that a group of galloping horses wouldn't rile Hugo up.

With tryouts just a day away, Ash and I would be spending the day on our own, practicing what we needed to improve on. Sky and Jewel would be switching between us to observe, but they also needed to practice for the demo they would be giving to the students from EFA who were coming to see the future Olympians in actions. Felix and Harry would also be giving demos on Puissance and Polo, something I was very excited to see.

Ash was already out with Beauty on the cross country course to get some last minute practice in before the rain really started to hit, and Sky was tagging along on Onyx. I was excited to hear from Ash what it's like seeing the pair in action up close, since Jewel and Sky always had their lessons early mornings, we hardly had time to see them ride their own horses, except for a few rare occasions.

As I watched Hugo shamble into the grassy paddock and start munching away, I thought about what I wanted to focus on for tomorrow.

Dressage was surprisingly Navarres stronger element going into this tryout. When the gelding was jumping, he was often overly excited soaring over the jumps and that was when he tended to ignore my cues and do his own thing. But in dressage his mind seemed to have an extra focus on every step he took. Maybe he understood just how picky dressage judges could be. It made me laugh just thinking about it.

So dressage was all prepped and ready. I'd had my test memorized for weeks. Now it was down to either cross country or show jumping.

Giving Hugo a mint from my pocket, I left his paddock and made my way back into the barn. Navarre was snoozing in his stall, head down and eyes closed gently. As I watched him, I almost felt bad for dragging him into this tryout last minute. After a whole winter of nothing more than light riding, I had pushed him back to full work, putting so much pressure on him, and as a younger horse, that wasn't something I had planned for him. I had wanted to work him up the levels slowly, wadding into the stress and excitement of higher level competition, but instead I had pushed him head first into the pressure of a full on tryout for one of the best boarding schools in the USA.

It almost didn't seem fair to him, being put in the spotlight so suddenly and expected to preform as well as as more seasoned horse like Beauty or Hugo would.

" I'm sorry boy " I sighed as I opened the stall door and leaned against the doorway. Navarre barely moved, eyes remaining closed, but he sighed softly to acknowledge my presence.

" ...You're burnt out aren't you boy? " I continued to speak to him. " Maybe extra practicing isn't the way to go with you... " I walked over to him and rubbed his shoulder gently. " ...Hey...I've got an idea! " I eagerly grabbed his halter and lead line, practically dragging the black and white legged gelding out of his cozy bed.

" How would you like a spa day boy? " I produced a mint from my pocket and he gobbled it up greedily, now becoming more awake.

" A nice bath, some of that special mane and tail shampoo that I bought the other day? Hoof polish and shine, tight button braids. How does all that sound? "

Navarre snorted as he bobbed his head and shook out his mane, which was growing out in odd strands from his paddock mate consistently chewing on it. A nice pull and cut was definitely on the menu for today.

" I think it sounds like a great idea "

I turned and smiled as I came face to face with Jewel, who had Shadow on a lead behind her. Her black gelding and my black gelding bumped noses, blowing warm breaths at each other in greeting.

" Nervous? " Jewel asked as we walked our horses side by side to the wash stalls.

I nodded. " Like crazy "

" Funny, if you had said not at all, I would have believed you. You have a very calm demeanor about you before a big event "

I smiled. " People have always said that. On the outside I guess I look and act calm, but on the inside I'm freaking out. I guess with my parents being the way they were growing up, I had learned to keep my feelings bottled up inside "

Jewel nodded. " I understand that... " we cross tied our horses in two separate wash stalls and while I started running the hoses, Jewel got the buckets of soap and mane and tail shampoo and conditioner ready.

" Growing up with parents who have been Olympic champions isn't as fun and exciting as it may seem. There's a constant pressure to be just as great as they were, if not better. Horses have been in our families blood for years and right now it's up to sky and I to continue the tradition of champions "

I whistled. " That does sound like a lot of pressure... " I smiled at here. " but you and Sky seem to be on the right path "

" Ya, now we do, but a few years ago you may not have said that... " Jewel took a breath and I could tell that what she was about to say was going to be difficult.

" A few years ago, Shadow and I were both injured in a competition. He had a pretty bad tendon injury and I had shattered my kneecap "

" that must've been scary... " I replied.

" It was. I was told by my doctors that I would never be able to jump again with the plate in my knee. I was so angry. At myself. At the show, even at the people around me. Looking back, I think I was more upset that I had let my family down "

" What did you do? "

" Eventually, I got my head back into the game. With the help of friends and family, and a few months of barrel racing, I was back jumping with my team again "

I tried not to act surprised. I couldn't imagine Jewel Lockhart, up and coming Olympian and queen of all things English riding, actually barrel racing.

Jewel chuckled. " I know, it sounds weird, but changing disciplines really put things into perspective for me, let me see a different world that I had ignored beforehand and it helped me overcome my struggles, until Shadow and I were both completely healed " she pressed a kiss against the geldings nose.

As I washed the warm water over Navarre, I let Jewels story really sink in. Maybe someday I would be telling one of my future students about the time I pushed Hugo too far and got him hurt. It was something I knew I was already learning from, and something I would continue to learn from the rest of my riding career.

" Well, that's enough dramatic storytelling that I can handle for one day " Jewel laughed. " lets get these boys cleaned! "

" Agreed! " I replied, laughing as Navarre slapped my back with his wet tail, soaking my back to the core.

The tryouts were gone from my mind in seconds....