Chapter 14:

Ashleigh's pov

"Hey!"

Lo blinks at me innocently as I turn to scowl at her. The young mare had just about knocked me over after swinging her head suddenly. Originally I thought it was an accident, but after it repeatedly occurring, I had started thinking otherwise. She was known for being playful, but that also meant she could sometimes be naughty.

If she were human, I would bet my life that she was laughing.

"You alright there?" Eve giggles as she leads Eclipse to the cross country course.

"Yeah, she's just in one of her pushy moods today" I said, eyeing Lo.

Lo was a smaller, dapple grey Dutch Warmblood mare who was still developing. I wasn't expecting her to be as mature as the other horses. She was more spirited and inexperienced with her job. But that didn't stop me from scolding her for the pushy behaviour. Being lenient with her at this age would just make her behave worse in the future.

Eclipse on the other hand was more calmer while being handled by people. The tall chesnut was a Selle Fancais stallion and today he was being ridden by Sky. Jewel would be riding Lo instead while Andréa coached them.

I had to admit, I kind of expected it to be the other way around. Sky riding Lo and Jewel riding Eclipse. Usually it was Sky who worked with smaller horses and Jewel working with the taller ones.

To have them swap was definitely going to be interesting.

However one thing remained the same between both horses, they both were eventers who needed more training.

Picking up my pace, I attempt to catch up to Eve who was now a lot further in front of us. Lo walks energetically beside me as we speed walk. So far we haven't had any real problems with Lo and Eclipse. A matter of fact, none of the J.O.P.S horses have actually misbehaved. Of course Onyx had his moments, but he was still a sweetheart.

As we finally catch up, Eve and I reach the intermediate cross country course where we were told to meet the twins. Just as they said, Jewel, Sky and Andréa stood by talking to one another. The brisk air had me zipping up my jacket.

"Thank you for getting them ready" Jewel says, taking Lo's reins from me.

Sky does the same and soon enough, the girls mount their horses. Lo was fidgeting while Eclipse glanced at the course curiously. Andréa immediately instructs the girls to warm up, sending them away. Both Eve and I were still in awe at the fact that we were meeting actual equestrian Olympians.

"Do you ladies know why I've put the girls on these horse?" Andréa asks, not turning to face us as she watches the girls closely.

Eve and I glance at each other, not knowing what to say.

We both murmur "no"

"The reason for this change up is to strengthen their weaker skills"

"You see, Jewel is use to having bold horses that won't shy away from anything. Sometimes she relies on her horse to much..."

"I've put her on Lo so she remembers to give more clearer cues. She also has to have a stronger seat, otherwise she'll be ending up on the ground" Andréa explains.

Eve and I nod.

It was nice knowing that even the more experienced riders face such normal issues.

"Sky on the other hand is use to having more difficult and unpredictable horses-"

"-I've put her on Eclipse so she learns to relax in the saddle. While doing this, she'll also learn how to have softer hands. If she uses cues to harsh on Eclipse, he'll make it known as well"

In other words, she was saying Eclipse would probably start misbehaving.

"These things should help the girls not only improve in cross country, but also in the other disciplines. They gain valuable skills in learning how to adapt to different horses" Andréa finishes.

I couldn't agree enough with what she was saying.

"Okay girls, come in" Andréa calls.

Sky trots Eclipse over at a quicker pace while Jewel and Lo follow behind. As Andéa gives instructions, Eve and I take a seat on one of the jumps nearby which wasn't going to be used. We listen closely as if it were our own lesson, picking up many tips from Andréa.

...

"I'm going to be riding Beauty in lessons again" I said to Eve.

Her head snaps in my direction, immediately interested.

"That's great! It's about time" Eve says enthusiastically.

I roll my eyes jokingly. "Yeah, I know, I know. I'll also be riding Florence though. I want to sort out my problems and end our partnership on a good note. Plus, Andréa was right"

"About?"

"Adapting to other horses, I haven't been riding Flo correctly lately and I want to fix my errors. I also don't want to overwork Beauty" I explain.

"Yeah, that makes-"

Eve is cut off by Andréa's yelling.

"Give her firmer cues Jewel-"

"-Sky! Softer hands please"

Eve and I hold in our giggles as the twins both seem to be having a tough time. Lo was spooking at a particular fence and Eclipse would literally stop if Sky squeezed the reins to hard. By now I was starting to feel better about my riding.

Even Sky and Jewel have their problems, so maybe it wasn't so bad that I made mistakes.

Was that why they brought us out here?

Shaking my head in amusement, I watch as Jewel finally gets Lo over the jump. Lo begins to relax, realising things aren't as scary as they look. Eclipse also seems to start getting a hang of things. Sky had finally relaxed into the saddle and every cue she made was invisible.

Soon enough, they had two very happy horses which were eager to perform.

It just demonstrated to us that persistence and patience was what really counts.

As the lesson comes to an end, both of the girls ride over to us.

"Now do you get why we brought you out here?" Jewel asks.

Eve and I nod slowly.

"And that is...?" Sky presses.

"No one is perfect..." I said awkwardly, looking at Eve for help.

"-and everyone makes mistakes" Eve sighs.

"Finally, I was worried that we would have to drag you to our lessons for the rest of the week" Sky says in an overexagerated relieved tone.

All of us laugh at Sky's dramatic outcry.

"Now, why don't you girls tack up your horses" Jewel suggests.

"But they're on a break..." Eve says slowly.

"I don't think they'll mind going on a trail ride" Sky smiles.

Eve and I glance at each other before jumping off the bench excitedly.

"Race you" I shout immaturily.

Eve and I shove each other roughly as we race off to the barn. I was certain the twins and Andréa were laughing at us, but I didn't care. Not this time.