Much as she didn't want to, she gave in to the reality and slid off Kane's lap. "Bed," she said. "Both of you. I can keep watch with the help of my pack."

Asher handed her a key card and made her remember six numbers. "That'll get you into my bedroom if you need to wake us for some reason."

"OK. Go now. Sheesh, the two of you are dead on your feet."

But after she heard the dead bolts thud into place, she stood there feeling very alone and very afraid. She had some idea of Kane's incredible strength. That a newborn could have injured him filled her with horror, enough to make her mouth go dry.

She reminded herself that Kane had come back alive and in one piece. Despite this knowledge, she stood swaying for a few moments, trembling a bit as she tried to deal with what had happened and what might have happened.

And dreading what would happen as soon as her pack smelled her.

There was a shower in the front office of Mackenzie's bedroom. Tessa took advantage of it, scrubbing herself thoroughly. She found fresh clothes in the bag she'd packed when she left her apartment. She even used alcohol to wipe the tiny wounds Kane had inflicted before she covered them up. Everything she could do to lessen the odors of Kane and of his having drunk from her.

She stared at the pricks on her wrist and her neck, though, wondering why they weren't healing yet. She was used to having her wounds heal swiftly, and small ones in very short order. These remained, like marks. Something about vampire bites?

She had healed from the attack by those four vampires, but perhaps it had taken longer than usual. How would she know? She had never really had an opportunity to assess her wounds that night. She just hoped these marks vanished entirely before her mother arrived. There was no question in her mind that Danica would smell them as long as they remained.

She settled on the couch in the front office to nap as much as she could while awaiting either a call or a visit from her mother. She honestly hoped it would be a call.

All she knew for certain right now was that she didn't need to fear vampires until sunset. Now all she had to fear was her own family.

That somehow seemed far worse.

Exhausted, she curled up on the couch and tried to absorb what had happened to her when Kane had drunk from her. She throbbed at the memory of it and replayed it in her mind she was beginning to understand why Kane feared making an addict of her.

Because she already wanted that experience again. She was eager for it. The need still pounded in her blood like some heady drug, and permanent withdrawal seemed impossible to bear.

That realization lifted her from the edge of slumber and slammed her with fear. Addiction. He had warned her, she hadn't listened, and when he was weakened she had forced him to do what he had so far resisted.

Oh, man, had she lost her mind? Looking at the past few days, she could well believe it. She had given her soul to a vampire, and she wasn't even sure he wanted it.

But even upset couldn't win over exhaustion, and sleep found her quickly, releasing her for just a little while from all the questions, fears, and anxieties that had beset her since she was attacked.

She didn't get much sleep. The barred window above and behind Mackenzie's desk that let in the light from the street hadn't brightened all that much by the time she heard the door buzzer sound.