Chapter 2

Washed out brain
I have a dirty mind
Oh, I need, I need new ways
To waste my time
I need new ways

Washed out brain
I live alone, alone, alone
Washed out face
Keep me inside

Josh's POV:

I was currently in the centre of Coinston. I had been here for a week and I was already going slightly crazy. Everything about this town seemed to suffocate me even though it was far away from the crowded, polluted cities. I craved excitement; alcohol, cigarettes, boys.

Instead I was here, working part time in a library café just to prevent me dying from boredom in my aunts cottage. Hardly anyone came in her anyways, I was one hour into the shift and I had only served one customer so far. Most people were at the marked right now, that's literally the most excitement this village gets.

I look up from my phone when I hear the door creak open, revealing a young looking boy with curly brown hair. He's wearing a oversized beige hoodie with light blue ripped jeans and vans. Defiantly not the normal sort of person I've seen around here so far. He smiles brightly at me, showing off his perfect white teeth.

I watched him silently for the next hour, glancing at him as he read his book on a sofa next to the window. I'm not sure if he notices my sneaky glances that I try and get in as much as possible between serving customers. Since his arrival the café has started to get a little crowded, much to my dismay.

He looks so cute. The light from outside bounces across his hair and cheekbones gracefully, making him look like an angel. He smiles as he reads, sometimes quietly laughing as well. When he gets up to leave I feel like running after him, grabbing him by the wrist and making him stay longer. He's literally the only interesting thing I've seen in Coinston so far.

———————

When I get home from work my Aunt is out. There's a note on the counter saying she's at her friends house and that I need to take her dog Harley for a walk. Having nothing better to do, I decide that might be a good idea.

I gather my keys back up before attaching the lead to Harley's collar and locking the house door back up. The sun is low in the sky, making the trees appear a golden brown. The air is crisp yet warm, like summer should be.  I head across the bridge and into the forest over the other side of the stream.

The walk is peaceful. The woods is deep and enchanting in the summer light, casting shadows over the forest floor. The ground crunches underneath me as I walk silently through the vast area of nature.

Suddenly, I hear a noise from behind one of the trees. I slowly creep around, trying hard not to stand on any twigs and expose myself to whatever's there.

It's the boy.

He's sitting there in his oversized beige hoodie and light blue ripped jeans. He looks the exact same as I remember him, except this time he's sitting on the floor crisscrossed with a crown of flowers placed in his curly hair. He looks so innocent whilst wearing it, the blue and green stands out against the dark stands of wild hair.

He looks back up spat me once he notices my presence. His brown eyes look into my blue ones before he looks away again.

"Haven't we met before? You look familiar from somewhere, maybe we go to school together?" The boys says in his thick northern accent. His voice rings through the silent forest, cutting the quietness in two.

"Ummm I work at the coffee shop, I saw you there earlier today actually." I reply with a shrug.

"You're not from around here are you?" The mysterious boy asks as he continues to weave the flowers between his fingertips together gracefully.

"No, I'm from London. How could you guess?"

"From your voice maybe?" He grinned as he looked back up at me, squinting slightly in the sunlight that was now glazing the entire forest.

"I'm staying here for the summer with my Aunt until school begins again. What exactly are you doing on the ground?"

"I'm making flower crowns obviously." He rolled his eyes before smiling and motioning up to the flowers in his hair. "I'm making one for my sister Rose because her boyfriends broke up with her so she's having a bit of a meltdown."

"I guess I should have figured that one out for myself, huh." I replied back before taking a moment to think about what to say next. "My names Josh."

"I'm Oliver." The boy replied back. Oliver.

"It's almost dark Oliver, maybe you should be getting home now."

"Alright then, I'll see you around Josh from London." He Smiled before getting up off the ground and brushing the dirt off the back of his trousers. "Maybe next time I can make a flower crown for you too."

"Yeah maybe next time, flower boy."