Chapter 29 - On The Beach

Começar do início

****

Riley had walked to the water's edge shortly after Maria left her alone.  The cold water tickled her feet, numbing them like she wished her aching heart could be numb.  Grayish blues and golden rays filled the sky as the sun dipped beyond the horizon of water. Silent tears fell as Riley struggled with understanding why Connor didn't tell the whole truth and tried desperately to stay mad at him. 

Maria's words rang through her mind that maybe he was embarrassed of his flings with Cynthia because no one liked her. Was that just an excuse?  Riley needed to hear it from Connor.

Soon enough she would get her answers.  Connor gradually came up behind her, dropping the extra blanket and his shoes next to the one already laying out.  He didn't stop until he was standing beside Riley.

She noticed him, felt his warmth radiating next to her but Riley didn't turn her head.  She was fearful that if she looked at him, gazed into those ocean blue orbs and saw his sadness, all her pain would melt away and get swept under the rug. That had been allowed to happen to many times in the past with Asher.

"I'm actually not mad," Riley spoke softly breaking their silence.

Connor turned to face her, confusion written all over his face.

"I'm disappointed," She continued.  Ouch.  "I'm disappointed in myself for not trusting my gut.  Seeing you two together...I had a deja vu moment but shook it off."

"Riley," Connor interrupted which earned him a cold glare.  "Please, let me speak." She crossed her arms under her chest and quirked an eyebrow.  "I didn't tell you more about my past with Cynthia because that life ended when I met you. The night of the benefit last spring...was my last time with her.  Something...someone made me want to have something more than just the physical.  A woman sang that night and lit something in me.  The whole time I was with Cynthia, I pictured I was with the woman who sang.  I realized then that I couldn't continue on the path I was on.  Deep down, I couldn't stand being around Cynthia.  She's an annoying spoiled brat. I still can barely tolerate her but I have to in order to gain and keep her dad's support, that part is the truth."

Riley shifted her feet in the sand glancing down to watch her toes sink into the moist granules.  "Who...who was it that sang?"

Connor shrugged, "I don't know, actually.  It was beautiful, though.  She wore a cloak and really moved the audience. The emotions in her voice, the song, her performance..."

Gazing up into this man's face while determinedly searching her memory from that night, Riley vaguely remembered seeing Connor, or a man who looked like him, sitting in the last chair of the front row. The expression of longing, admiration in those eyes broke through the dimmed lightly and had almost distracted her.

"W-would...would you...remember the song? If you heard it again?" She asked shyly.

"Yes," he answered confidently, confused by the random question.

Riley stepped closer so they were only a hair's breadth away and took a deep breath, beginning softly almost too soft to hear. Almost.

You were once my one companion

You were all that mattered

You were once a friend and father

Then my world was shattered

She continued through most of the song until Connor couldn't hold back anymore.

"You..." Connor whispered, lifting a hand to cup Riley's cheek.  "It was you?"

Riley nodded slowly but didn't step into his arms when Connor outstretched them. He sighed, letting his arms fall down at his sides.

"I'm sorry I hurt you, Riley," He offered.  "That was not my intention."