Dolores looked like a queen of fairies and angels in her regal ivory dress, a bouquet of lilies in her hand, the blond hair sparkling under the crown of flowers and her green eyes like shining emeralds on Morris.

Marina and Laventry stood behind the couple while the priest blessed them. Sitting at the first row with Cecilia, Harry and Alonso, Alma found herself shoulder to shoulder with the island's Governor himself.

It was a simple, touching ceremony. Morris and Dolores offered their vows of love and respect as partners in life. And since they couldn't exchange wedding bands, the rings hung from necklaces they put around each other's necks before kissing. Women smiled with teary eyes, and even Harry and Laventry traded a glance that clearly meant that this thing of marriage or vows didn't look so bad after all.

The reception Cecilia organized earned praises even from those who weren't there. There was music and food and drinks like any proper Brethren of the Coast's gathering, only this time they showed off their best manners.

By sunset, Claude took the couple on the family coach to their brand new home, going around the house to leave them at their doorway only for the sake of formality. Their garden limited the Velazquez', and a hundred steps were enough to go from one kitchen to the other.

When only the close friends of the family remained in the garden, waiting for Colette, Tomasa and the maids to serve a cold dinner at the main dining room, Marina excused herself with Maxó and Harry and took a few steps away from them. Straight ahead, under the fig tree, Laventry talked with her mother. And watching them, the girl was about to slap herself, wondering how come she'd been so blind for so long.

Cecilia treated the corsair as usual. With a little more affection than the other family friends, but that was it. Marina knew Laventry and her had grown up together. He and Wan Claup had been friends since they were both toddlers. And Marina had always thought that was the reason why Laventry had that special way to address her mother.

But for the first time she noticed the way he looked and smiled at her. How long had the corsair been in love with his late captain's widow? Was that why he'd always refused to find himself a woman and settle down?

Marina found him at a tavern the next afternoon and asked him for a word in private, saying it was urgent. As soon as they were outside, alone, the girl exposed to him bluntly what she'd seen the night before at the reception.

Her questions were like a bucket of cold water on the corsair. He gawked at her, his lips moving without a sound under that thick mustache meant to make his smirks look crooked.

Marina shook her head and patted his arm. "You don't need to tell me what I already know, Laventry. What I'm asking is how much longer will you play dumb. What the hell are you waiting for?"

"I... Pearl, don't... It's just that... What? What do you mean, waiting?"

The girl pointed a menacing finger to his nose and he took a step back. "You better go to the Eagle, or wherever you left your guts, wear them like you should and face up to it, you hear me?"

"Face up to what?"

"To your feelings, you blockhead! So I want you all handsome like yesterday, you pick up some flowers along the way and go see her. And you come clean."

Laventry turned pale, but tried to put himself together. "Come, child. You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think she doesn't know? Go ask her who was her first suitor ever! Go ask her if he doesn't know that I've always had feelings for her! But your mother chose your father, pearl, and that's sacred. I would never dare to come between that."

"My father died thirteen years ago! Are you expecting her to propose to you? Don't you think she's already spent enough time alone? She's been a widow almost half her life! You think she deserves to die alone?"

"Die? She's hardly thirty something! Let it go, pearl. I'm not putting up a scene to push her to the quandary of rejecting me."

"What you fear is that she may not reject you." Marina gifted him with a mocking smile. "I should've known better. Go, go back to planning your expeditions, Admiral. You'd rather face a hundred cannons than the woman you say you love." Like all of you, stupid and proud men of arms. She couldn't help thinking it, but she didn't voice it.

Laventry stiffened like she'd just slapped him. The girl raised her eyebrows, daring him to contradict her. He set his jaw.

"Dammit!" he snarled, spun around and walked back into the tavern.

Marina met him at the docks the next day, when she, Alonso and Alma were about to board the boat to go to the Phantom. She noticed he'd shaved and he wore his best suit.

"You're taking them to Port-de-Paix?" Laventry asked curtly.

She nodded, trying not to look too amused.

"One hour there, one hour back," the corsair mumbled. "Go for a ride and don't hurry to come back."

Marina grabbed his arm when he tried to turn around and leave. She kissed his cheek, smiling.

"Good luck," she whispered, and she couldn't fight back her laughter anymore when he blushed up to his ears.