"So this is where you have been?" She sniffs. Evelyn shifts on her bed as her legs have started to feel numb but does reply. Henrietta looks disappointed that she receives no reply and continues to attract her cousin's attention with banging and crashes but Evelyn continues to read despite the constant chaos.

She looks up half an hour later at a particularly loud bang to see her cousin dressed in nothing but a sheer lace petticoat and high heels with a distressed Juliet holding up different dresses.

"No, no, no." Henrietta marches forward and snatches the purple dress from her and throws it on the floor. "Why did I ever think that this was a good fabric?"

Since Evelyn had seen her she has applied a light layer of makeup and had her hair placed into an elaborate design that leaves the back of her neck exposed.

Juliet scurries to pick up the dress. Evelyn slides a piece of paper to mark the place in her book and clambers off her bed. Time must have slipped on further than she intended as the sky outside suggests early evening as does the loud growl from her stomach. Juilet looks close to tears as Henrietta is leaning into the wardrobe and loudly professing her negative opinion from inside. Evelyn walks over to her and peaks inside too.

"I always think you look the best in this dress." She says to Henrietta as she pulls a bright gold dress out of the wardrobe and holds it up to the light. Henrietta scrunches up her face as she looks at the gown. It has silk sleeves and a lighter bodice that is detailed with swirling copper stitching. The skirt is full and made of the same material as the sleeves. Henrietta studies every inch of the dress, she looks unconvinced.

"Men wouldn't be able to keep their eyes off you in this." Evelyn continues, "And every girl will wish they had a smaller waist than you."

"That is true." Henrietta says slowly, lapping up the compliments, "But gold?"

"It goes perfectly with your hair and this particular dress rests so nicely on your shoulders showing how nice a neck you have," Evelyn says smoothly, she glances at Juliet for support. 

"And only the best can wear gold." She says not missing a beat.

"Of course, you are quite right." Henrietta says, snapping her fingers together, "And my new pearls will look gorgeous with this."

Evelyn nods and helps Juliet to slide the dress over Henrietta's head. It flows to the floor, barely scraping it thanks to her heels.

"Thank you." Juliet mouthes to Evelyn as she fastens the dress and tightens the corset. Evelyn nods in response and takes the shiny pearls from the vanity placing them around her cousin's throat.

"You look, beautiful miss," Juliet says turning her to see her reflection in the mirror. Evelyn has to admit that her cousin does look very desirable, all dressed up and happy. The joyful smile and flushed cheeks make her entire complexion glow.

"I do." She agrees, twirling. She smiles widely, "I am so excited!"

She twirls some more and watches her skirt swish with her every step, she starts pretending to dance with someone and waltzes around the room, humming to herself.

"Miss Evelyn, would you like help with your hair?" Juliet asks before Evelyn can sneak back to her book.

"You better hurry up," Henrietta says, stopping her dancing and smoothing out her gown.

Evelyn sighs and turns to her wardrobe. Juliet walks over and opens both doors. An array of dresses are hung up. Their light spring colours are far from suitable for a London ball however they will be ideal to not draw attention to one's self and that is exactly what Evelyn plans to do. There was a time where Evelyn's five wardrobes held dresses of bright and fantastic colours, a new one added every week.

"You can't wear an old dress," Henrietta says outraged, her stained lips pouting. She spins to her wardrobe.

"Here." She picks out the purple dress and hands it to Juliet. "Purple is more your colour than mine."

"Are you sure?" Evelyn asks, aware of how possessive she can be of her precious dresses.

"I'll be getting a whole new wardrobe soon, plus I cannot arrive at my first party with you looking like the help," Henrietta says primly. "I am going downstairs."

She dances from the room, unable to contain her enthusiasm. Evelyn looks at Juliet who has an equally puzzled expression on her face. She slowly begins to take off her dress and slip the purple one over her underclothes. The bright satin falls around her in a deeply layered skirt, the dress is a little too small for her and the hem falls just above the bottom of her ankles. Juliet struggles to tie the corset but when she does it highlights Evelyn's smooth curves, the neckline is a lot deeper than Evelyn is comfortable with as it shows the top of her pale chest but the deep colour contrasts and compliments her pale skin. The white lace around the neckline and cuffs adds a slightly feminine look to the seductive dress. She struggles to turn in the big dress to see her reflection. The girl staring back at her is everything she once was. A beautiful confident lady in an eye-catching dress. Juliet fiddles with Evelyn's bun and her long blonde her spills around her shoulders in wavy locks. Without speaking Juliet begins to work on the hair, pining up certain sections until Evelyn's hair is up in a high braided updo with several strands in thick curls falling down her back like a waterfall.

"Put these on." She hands her a pair of white heels with crystals. Evelyn slips them on and has to hold onto Henrietta's bedpost to prevent falling over.

"Do you have a necklace that will match? Or a pair of earrings?" Juliet asks.

"I have something," Evelyn replies, she totters over to her trunk and searches inside. She stands up with a silver beaded necklace that she ties snugly around the base of her neck.

"Miss Henrietta is going to regret letting you wear that dress," Juliet says looking at her admiringly.

"I'll be regretting this when I can't breathe all night. Her waist must be tiny." Evelyn laughs slightly as she places her hands on her waist. "Thank you for helping me, Juliet."

The maid just smiles and nods. Evelyn walks to the door, the muscle memory of many nights in heels coming back to her. She waves goodbye to Juliet and hurries down the stairs. She almost trips several times in her haste but she manages to grab onto the bannister in time. At the bottom of the stairs, she sighs in relief. The clock in the hall shows that she is just in time. She catches her reflection in the mirror and grimaces, the only thing missing is a little makeup and she looks like an older version of herself four years ago.

"Don't you look gorgeous!" Lucile says as she comes out of the parlour. Henrietta follows her and raises her eyebrows in approval and surprise when she sees Evelyn.

"Thank you, aunt." Evelyn says, "You do too."

Lucile wears a pale cream dress with pinks roses and a rose crown in her hair. "You are both going to be the belles of the balls." She says happily. Henrietta, for once, is silent.

"Ah." Lucile notices the butler and walks towards the door. "Come on ladies, our carriage awaits. Evelyn steps towards the door.

"You look nice," Henrietta mutters as she passes her, wrapping a black cloak around her shoulders.

"You too," Evelyn calls after her. Her heart threatens to leap into her mouth as she pauses at the door frame. She clears her head and takes the white cloak from the butler before heading outside.