Chapter 9

Talonpaw woke with a start, looking around in surprise. Why wasn't he in the nursery?
  Then he suddenly remembered, he was made an apprentice yesterday! Finchpaw was beside him, still asleep. Hopkit and Hushkit would be made apprentices next, but for now it was just him and his brother in the den.
  He couldn't wait until Frostkit became an apprentice! He loved to hang out with her and now that he was an apprentice, he could teach her some battle moves.
  "Finchpaw! Talonpaw! Come outside!" Talonkit turned to the den entrance as he heard Orangepelt's voice, and saw the orange tom's head poking inside. "We're going on the dawn patrol!"
  Talonpaw's eyes lit up like the moon. He couldn't believe it, his first patrol!
  He nudged Finchpaw awake. "Wake up! We're on the dawn patrol!"
  Finchpaw jumped to his paws and the two apprentices raced outside.
  Their mentors were waiting with Swiftrunner and Cedarpuddle. Talonpaw was glad to get Orangepelt as his mentor, and Finchpaw got the young and agile Gorsecloud.
  "Ready to leave?" Swiftrunner asked, giving his paw a quick lick.
  When everyone nodded, Swiftrunner led the way out of camp and onto the moor. Talonpaw followed his mentor eagerly, his brother beside him.
  Talonpaw looked around with excitement. The moor went all the way to the forest on one side, which Orangepelt said was the shared boundary with FireClan. Beyond the forest lay mountains, which Talonpaw could see in the distance. 
  On the other side of the moor, was the path to the Moonpool. There was a small red twoleg house not too far away, and Talonpaw heard that there was a big white dog that lived there. 

  They patrolled the whole territory before heading back to camp, and Talonpaw was starving!
  Talonpaw and Finchpaw raced to the fresh kill pile, grabbing a rabbit to share. They lyed down in front of the apprentice's den and devoured it in seconds.
  "How was the patrol?" Frostkit mewed softly as she walked up.
  Talonpaw finished chewing his last bite as he replied. "It was great!"
  "Did you see any rouges?" Frostkit asked.
  Talonpaw shook his head. "No, but we saw lots of rabbits!"
  "And we got to see Swiftrunner chase some down!" Finchpaw added.
  "Must've been fun!" Frostkit exclaimed.
  Talonpaw and Finchpaw nodded, and soon a dark shadow casted over them. Talonpaw looked up to see Timberfall standing behind Frostkit.
  Frostkit jumped up in surprise, but fluffed her fur out in excitement. "Dad!"
  Timberfall gave a faint smile and licked Frostkit between the ears. "I see you're already eager to know about the new apprentices' day." Frostkit nodded so Timberfall added; "Are you excited to be a warrior?"
  Frostkit shrugged. "Yeah, but I also find being a medicine cat interesting too."
  Timberfall narrowed his eyes, his expression becoming serious. "I would like you to follow in my footsteps as a warrior, not a medicine cat."
  Frostkit looked crestfallen, but nodded. "I'll do the best I can to become a warrior!"
  Timberfall grinned and licked her head one more time before walking away. Finchpaw had already gone into the apprentices den.
  Frostkit looked down, sighing. "If only I was actually good at being a warrior. I can't even do the hunting crouch right!"
  Talonpaw couldn't help but pity her. "Don't worry! I'll teach you everything I know!"
  "Don't bother, it's just a waste of time!" Frostkit growled. Talonpaw blinked in surprise, feeling a little hurt. Frostkit looked away. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I bet you're a good teacher, but I already know I'll just fail."
  "It's alright, and I'm sure you'll get it soon." Talonpaw meowed.
  "Maybe you're right." Frostkit said, smiling a little. "Maybe I will make Timberfall proud after all."
  "No matter what you become, he'll always be proud." Talonpaw mewed. "Even if it doesn't seem like it."
  "Could you teach me how to do the hunting crouch, so I can show Timberfall tomorrow?" Frostkit asked hopefully.
  "Of course." Talonpaw purred.
  He crouched down low to the ground, his belly fur barely touching the earth. He kept his tail on his side, and he looked straight forward.
  "Copy this pose." Talonpaw said, and after a few moments, he stood up again.
  Frostkit crouched down as well, but her tail was on the ground and her claws were out.
  "Keep your tail to your side, and sheath your claws. Keeping your claws out will only make more noise, which will scare the prey away." Talonpaw told her, remembering what his father had taught him.
  Frostkit did what she was told and looked up at him. "Like this?"
  "Yes," Talonpaw crouched again. "Now following my lead, and creep towards a pebble."
  Talonpaw slowly and quietly stalked towards a small rock, his paws lightly brushing the ground. Once he was close enough, he pounced.
  Frostkit started to stalk towards a different pebble, but her paws steps made so much noise, Talonpaw was sure any prey around her would hear it and run away.
  "Don't make so much noise, take light, quiet, steps." Talonpaw mewed.
  Frostkit nodded and tried again, this time doing better. She pounced on the pebble, barely missing it.
  Talonpaw nodded approvingly. "It still needs some work, but otherwise, it's good."
  "Okay! Thanks Talonpaw! You're the best!" Frostkit mewed, and Talonpaw watched as she raced away into the nursery.