Old Faces, New Names

"This tattoo was likely done by Vince a long, long time ago," A dark haired woman, Mary, spoke up after examining Y/N's arm. "It was probably done just before WICKED took you and a bunch of other kids from us all those years ago."

Turns out, Marcus was right. Y/N's small little tattoo got the Gladers and their new accomplices into the Right Arm with no questions asked. Brenda got treatment for the flare which was now attacking her systems and they were all given warm clothes and a place to sleep. In comparison to what the past few days and weeks had offered them, many of the kids felt as if they were dreaming. Especially Minho and Frypan. Plenty of food and beds? They were in heaven.

"Do you think Vince would remember Y/N?" Newt piped up, trying to catch Mary's gaze. She returned it with a saddened look.

"I can't say that he would. Vince is usually pretty good with faces, but if he didn't recognize her earlier, he likely won't." She explained. "If Y/N continues to get memories back, it's possible his face will show up somewhere along the line. But that doesn't change anything."

Everyone in the hut sat in silence while Mary worked on various Gladers, treating their wounds which were attained in the Scorch. That was until Vince himself came bombarding in.

He looked around frantically until he latched onto the sight of Y/N, racing over to her side and squishing in the space between her and Newt. His fingers flew over the pages of a heavy leather bound book, each page full of notes and fingerprints. Eventually, he reached the spot he was looking for and read quietly for a moment with his fingers to his lips. Quickly, he looked up and scanned her face.

"I think I know who you are." He admitted. "Show me the back of your knee."

"What? The back of my—"

Y/N had no choice in the matter. Thomas was already standing her up before she could process Vince's request, turning her around so they could see the back of her leg. Sure enough, what Vince was looking for was right there in front of him.

"You have a scar on the back of your knee, one you got just after you were brought to our camp." He laughed lightly. "You were best friends with a boy, one with the most absurd eyebrows I've ever seen. The two of you had a lot of fun though, and one day you got a knife to the back of the knee. Of course, it was an accident, and that poor boy never forgave himself."

"Gally? Gally and I were friends?" Y/N scoffed, her entire life beginning to feel like a lie. Not that it already wasn't, though. WICKED had really messed with things. "Best friends?"

"Well, assuming Gally was the name WICKED gave that kid. You two did everything together." Vince shrugged. "The day WICKED came to take all of you, we had the two of you hidden. Of course, you made the bold decision to try and save your friends. The boy decided to follow you, and after a few careless mistakes on his behalf, the two of you got caught."

Y/N raised her brows in surprise, still too shocked to speak.

"That explains my dream," Newt slowly broke into the conversation. "The day we got to the WICKED compound, you were ready to beat Gally to smithereens for something. If it weren't for Minho, you probably would've."

"Always a little fireball, weren't cha, Y/N?" Minho laughed.

"And when'd you ditch your peace keeping habits?" She mocked, making everyone who knew Minho well snicker.

"Even though it's been a long time, we're glad to have you back with us, Y/N." Vince smiled, scribbling a word out on the page and writing down something new. "From now on out, we'll keep you as safe as possible. I hate to admit it, but I've heard WICKED on the radios. They've got quite the watch out for you and your friend here."

"How tight of a watch are we talking?" Newt questioned, eyes squinted.

"Tight," Vince kicked at the floor. "They're offering bliss to anyone who finds her. They're offering first chance at a cure to anyone who finds both of you and returns you safe."

"Holy shuck." Minho's mouth fell agape. "You guys sure are lucky I ain't no money driven guy, cause I'd turn you in."

"Minho, shut up. Please?" Thomas pleaded. Y/N enjoyed Minho's lightheartedness in this kind of situation, but Thomas certainly didn't.

"You kids are going to have to share a tent over up on that cliff. There's a small cave that will at least keep you hidden if WICKED ever finds us. We can't risk losing you to them now." Vince looked between Y/N, Minho, Thomas and Newt.

"Alright," Newt stood up. "We'd best get started on setting it up then."

"It's already up," Mary broke in. "I had some guys stake it earlier today. Everything you need will be in there already." She smiled.

"Woah, Thanks." Thomas shuffled his feet, a little stunned. These people really were pretty amazing so far.

The tent was colder than they'd expected. Granted, none of them really knew what to expect, but they were used to the Glade where they slept in hammocks out in the open air. Here, out in the desert? The temperate was a different story, and not a pretty one.

"Hey, where's Teresa?" Thomas asked as everyone scuffled around uncomfortably.

"Probably mukin' about out there," Minho groaned. "I saw her head up here just after us."

"Okay, I'll go see if I can find her." He mumbled, jumping out of the tent.

Newt sighed tiredly. All he wanted was to sleep and have just the smallest break from babysitting Thomas, stopping him from doing stupid things. Little did he know, he'd soon regret not being out there with him while talking to Teresa.

"Alrightey," Minho yawned. "This place is chilly. Y/N, get in the middle. We all gotta share heat."

"Can you not just put up with the bloody weather for one night, Minho?" Newt complained. More defensively than anything. He didn't want Minho using Y/N as his personal heater all night.

But, it was too late. He'd already obtained a death grip on Y/N and wasn't letting go for the life of himself.

"Join us and be warm, or suffer all night long." Minho mocked. "You wanna be a popsicle when you wake up, that's your choice."

"Fine!" Newt snapped. "But only if Thomas is on your side when he gets back. I'm not laying here with him all bloody night!"

Y/N laughed at their antics. Minho was her best friend, even from before the maze. She trusted him and agreed that unless they wanted to freeze, this was the best option. And, having Newt there made things even more comfortable.

The sandwich the kids had made in order to preserve heat had worked well. But Thomas hadn't come back. Something was wrong and Newt knew it, but he didn't want to outright say anything. Besides, if something had gone awry, they were supposed to stay up here where they were safest.

The idea of safety got blown out of the water when an explosion which nearly made everyones ears bleed went off. The tent was illuminated with orange light and the air was filled with screams. Before either Newt or Minho could process, Y/N was up and out of the tent, sprinting down the massive hill and into the camp below.

Gunshots rang out. Bombs detonated. People fell to the ground. WICKED began loading kids up in their berg and obviously came with the intent to retrieve their subjects, no mercy in their agenda.

Fighting against WICKED was all they could do, but their manpower just wasn't enough. Minho was shot, and quickly dragged off by soldiers into the berg. Aris, Sonya and Teresa were gone too. Y/N and Newt had just escaped thanks to Jorge and a wild, last minute rampage, as did Thomas.

With too much damage, WICKED had to retreat. They loaded up the berg in a matter of seconds and lifted off, Janson, Paige and Teresa all staring down with disturbed eyes. They would stop at nothing to get the people they wanted in order to find a cure. Newt could understand their devotion, but not how many lives they took just to get a few kids back.

The pair stood side by side as they watched the berg retreat over the horizon. Minho, their closest friend, was inside of there being taken god knows where.

Newt felt lost all over again. He couldn't even imagine how Thomas felt.