Dragging Behind

If someone asked Y/N what had happened in the last ten minutes, she wouldn't be able to tell them. One minute she was standing with Janson, him holding a gun to her head. Then, they were out in the world, running from guards on a variety of different motor vehicles. Now, they were in some kind of massive, abandoned building. There weren't any lights, but the moonlight provided them with just enough to gather in a group.

While everyone else spoke, or more so argued, Y/N sat down on the sand covered concrete floor. It was cold to remain sat on, but she was exhausted. It wasn't from all of the running, it was from the memories she'd been given back. The girl wasn't sure why the doctors had done it because all it caused her was pain. None of her memories seemed all that happy. Of course, there were plenty with Newt from when they were younger, but it all involved them being tested and constantly being in pain. The worst of them all was the day Newt jumped. Y/N had nearly destroyed herself trying to stop him, yet it had never been enough.

She was beginning to realize just how awful what WICKED had done to them really was. They had used children. Completely defenceless children to conduct experiments solely involving pain. Thomas and Teresa's shared telepathy was one thing. Y/N and Newt's shared agony was another. One could argue that it may have been good, especially now since they had developed an unbreakable bond. But, deep down, Y/N still knew what had been done to them was sick and wrong. In no way would she ever let WICKED take them back. She didn't care how much they were worth or how much they contributed to a cure.

Y/N could hear some of the arguing amongst the other boys heat up, but it was all mostly white noise still, still lost in her thoughts.

It wasn't long until Newt grabbed her arm and helped her to stand, though. He looked a little frustrated and rough around the edges. "Me, Y/N and the others will gather supplies. Thomas and Minho, go try and find a way out." He ordered coldly.

Y/N guessed Newt and Thomas had some kind of disagreement and needed time to cool off.

Digging through old rooms in the building, the Gladers found no shortage of valuable supplies. Backpacks, jackets, better footwear and warmer clothes.

Whilst digging through a bag, Y/N found a red bandana. She went to shove it in her pocket, but when she looked to Newt, she had a better idea. Carefully, she snuck up behind the boy and then wrapped the fabric around his head, tying it in the back. "Surprise!" She laughed lightly.

"Bloddy hell, Y/N." Newt jabbed at the girl whilst scrambling to uncover his eyes. Once it was finally off, he held it in his hands and smiled softly. "Thanks."

"Welcome," Y/N shrugged and turned away to continue her search for supplies.

Roughly ten minutes had passed, and while Y/N was beginning to grow tired of digging around for supplies, she heard someone approaching. Luckily, when she looked up, there was Newt, with a familiar kind look on his face. In his arms was a stack of clothes.

"They didn't really give you anything warm back there in that shuck place," He huffed, handing the girl the clothing. "Get changed, I'll make sure no one comes in."

Y/N nodded and shuffled through the stack of fabric. A pair of grey cargo pants, which would serve far better than the thinner pair of pants she had been given earlier. Along with that, a long-sleeved shirt and thick jacket. Y/N smiled to herself a little. Never would have she found these things for herself, too focused on supplies to keep the others safe. But, Newt had been thinking of her.

The way her hair fell could make Newt trip over his own feet. He knew staring was rude, and knew to look away, but even that was difficult. While the girl changed, he turned back to shoving anything and everything the group could need into a pack frantically. It wasn't long until his attention was diverted, though. Frypan and Winston sat across from him also packing supplies, but their eyes were elsewhere.

"Aye," Newt grumbled. "Back to what you were doing."

"What?" Frypan laughed. He knew he was guilty and had been caught.

Newt simply shook his head, a small smirk forming.

When Y/N came out from the room, now in the warmer and better suited clothes, Newt hardly stole a quick glance before a ruckus broke out in the hallway. Just as everyone had anticipated, Minho and Thomas had stuck there feet where they shouldn't have. Those distant wails everyone had briefly heard when they had first arrived in the helicopter made a reappearance in their ears and everyone's hearts doubled in pace. Cranks.

Everyone began to run as fast as they possibly could. Y/N and Newt dragged behind ever so slightly, both struggling every so often with their limps. But, that didn't stop them from running for their lives in any way, shape or form.

Cranks began to pour out of every crack and crevice. As they ran, things just got worse. Newt was thrown to the floor by a Crank who smashed straight through a pane of glass. Y/N was the first to notice, at his side in a second. She threw herself at what used to be a human figure, taking it straight over a ten foot ledge.

Newt's scream shook the whole building and caused everyone to stop. They were running from literal zombies and the boys scream had been so agonizing the world had stopped. It wasn't from the pain he felt from Y/N's fall, though, it was simply pure horror.

Y/N was lucky enough to land right on the Crank which broke her fall and she wasted no time in finishing it off. It's inhuman wails of agony echoing though the desolate building. Thomas and Newt peered over the edge with frantic eyes, hearts practically exploding. "GO! I'll meet you outside!" Y/N screamed up at the boys looming over the edge. The girl waved her flashlight and disappeared into the dark. Thomas picked up Newt and forced him to keep running.

When they had finally made it out of the building, they clambered around until they found an alcove of boulders which used to be pieces of the abandoned building. But, there was still no sign of Y/N. For a while, everyone sat quietly. Hoping, praying that they might get a trace of sound to signal Y/N was alive. Newt knew she was, because he was sure he'd be able to feel it if she wasn't.

It was just before everyone was physically pulled into the depths of sleep by force that footsteps echoed a ways away. The Gladers immediately knew it wasn't a Crank since it sounded like a pair of boots, and there was no shuffling or dragging to the steps. They were concise and careful. It had to be Y/N.

Minho was sent to scout by Thomas.

After a few minutes of extremely cautious spying, Minho was able to come to the conclusion that the person walking around was indeed Y/N. He flickered his flashlight a couple of times, Y/N noticed and head in the direction of the light. As she stepped around a pile of rubble, a pair of strong arms wrapped around her body and covered her mouth.

"It's Minho," He explained quickly before Y/N punched him somewhere he knew it'd really hurt. "Just be quiet, ok?"

Y/N backed away and shoved Minho for having scared the living crap out of her. "You guys are okay?"

"Yeah, we're good." Minho confirmed. "Winston's hurt and Newt's having a crisis. Better get back before he looses his mind, c'mon."

Y/N followed the runner as he guided her back to where the Gladers were hiding out for the night. As they came closer, she began to hear their distinct whispers. Thomas was very obviously trying to calm Newt down.

Minho, yet again, flickered his light a couple of times to signal the pairs arrival. Newt, before Thomas could stop him, jumped up and rushed straight for the source of the light. He accidentally slammed into Minho, apologized and then felt around until he located Y/N. He grabbed her shoulders roughly and Y/N could feel his breath on her face.

"You alright?" He asked. "Are you—"

"I'm ok," Y/N said shyly.

"You could have died, Y/N." He said sharply. Now that his fear had worn off, anger filled his veins.

Y/N sighed. "I'm sorry. But you would've been worse off if I hadn't done it."

In no way could Newt disagree with that. She was right. If it hadn't been for her quick instincts, Newt could be very badly injured or far worse.