96 - Little Truths - Part 2

Start from the beginning

Things go awfully quiet for a while, and then:

"But women are physically weaker, why would they be on the battlefield?"

Yet another question appears, and I consider it for a bit. Honestly, this argument has been the weirdest for me ever since I arrived here.

"In my world, which is quite different from here. Men and women are generally equally strong. There is no big difference. In strength tests you wouldn't notice. The average height for men and women about is the same too."

A good few moments of silence spread, but I'm just waiting for the other part. The pregnancy part.

"Did you have any siblings?" Vitis turns the direction of the conversation smoothly.

"As expected of the older brother to six!" I hear cheered out, and a few laughs spread through the crowd.

"One older sister. She was very dedicated to her work as priestess though. A beauty. Golden eyes and the blackest silky hair you can imagine." I think back on her since she was mentioned. I never spent as much time with her as I should have during winter. We got a bit estranged after she married.

"...Were you a beauty like you sister too?!"

Another interesting question appears from the backlines, but judging by the voice it may be Mike.

"I was quite average," I call back calmly and take another sip. I hadn't expected them to ask something like that, but they seemed amused and filled with curiosity.

"Have you had any lovers?"

In indecent question appears. I lift an eyebrow and answer honestly. It looks like one of the fourth years.

"No."

A bit of silence.

"Have you kissed anyone?"

Another weird question.

"No."

I could hear the 'not even her fiancé?' Echoing down the lines... why are you guys so curious about my love life anyway?

"Do they have knights in your previous world?"

They change the subject rapidly.

"No. A direct equal does not exist. Nobility itself acts as 'knights' in a way, but it is not a title available for commoners."

Then deep silence. This is where some of them realize that something feels off.

"How do you become nobility?"

I consider the answer for several moments and answer with:

"You reincarnate into it, or change history to the point you become a legend. Anything less is not enough. The caste you are born into is a result of karma of your former life. If you as noble do your role well and fulfill the destiny of your soul, then you go to heaven instead of being reincarnated, where you protect the doors to heaven and keep hell at bay."

When I told Helena that commoners here have good lives, I partly refer to their ability to break the social status they were born with. For us it was locked, and divine given rights. Of course, if you misuse your rights you will go to the realms of punishment for your sins and then be reincarnated. The realm of punishment serves to clean your sins from your soul such as crimes, regrets, fears and desires if you have displayed any of these and not won over them on your own. As reincarnation is an actual thing for us, we trust the words of the gods on this. It is quite clear that the knights are not at all feeling pleasantly about this. Well, some are feeling better about it than others.

"This world, however, appears to be different. In the end the gods have different wishes for us." In the end that was all I could say to calm the discomfort of the young men.

"You said men and women were equal in terms of jobs, so there are many male prostitutes in the cities as well as women?" An unexpectedly filthy question appears... and I consider turning it down for a few moments. I did however promise to answer, so I decide to answer Felix's question. At least it is asked with a semblance of worry.

"Prostitution is illegal in most lands, however, it is exists. There are indeed male prostitutes, but I am thankfully ignorant of every other part of their business. We have male and female entertainers with whom you can talk out your frustrations with, but that is all that is allowed."

I can't tell if he is happy with the answer or not, but he appears to be considering it for a while.

"Do you like the crown prince?"

An unexpected question appears, but of course I answer it as any subject should.

"As any subject should towards their king." I confirm this with myself. I do have a sense of loyalty to the kingdom, and thus Alstair, but that doesn't mean I need to adore everything he does.

"And romantically?"

...can I even answer that honestly? ...perhaps it is fine to answer it honestly. I'll focus on something else than the biggest reasons though.

"...I believe no favor is held between us, as should be evident by the lack of poems for each other, songs and so on."

Now, some of the knights nod at this, and others perk up curiously.

"You wish for your partner to dedicate poems to you?"

The odd question makes me lean my head to the side a bit and I end up letting a slight smile curl up on my lips.

"Of course. That is the proper way of expression such affection. That or carefully written letters." It is here too. Although, in a slightly different manner. Apparently it's less of a guessing game, and more of a poem dedicated to someone... where the someone's name is said out loud. It's a... bit different... a bit more directly passionate.

I look over the guys and note a few grins crossing their lips.

"What?" I ask them suspiciously. Why are they grinning? I don't believe I've said anything amusing though. I'm asking for something perfectly reasonable here.

Surprisingly, the one to answer is Asher. More accurately, the one that sacrifices himself for the others, is Asher.

"It's just that it is unexpected to hear you wish for something so womanly as you sit in pants with a sword by your side and gulp down the alcohol Felix gave you like its water."

Asher smiles at me, and unlike before he doesn't seem to be wanting to pull the sake away from me... but...

"...don't women dedicate poems to men too?" I ask this in a moment of confusion. Granted, it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that you had to do it, but it didn't say the opposite either...

They return a 'No' to me in unison...