VIII

Eight

After her eventful visit at the doctor's office, Alaine wandered into the bunker with her thoughts all in a disarray. Unsteadily, she made it into the library where she dropped into a chair, her trembling fingers weaving through her long hair. The drive back had been nerve-wracking. At the clinic, she experienced changes of emotions in rapid succession. From surprise to fear, anxiousness and panic; the whole thing had been dizzying. At the end she decided to make an appointment for the ultrasound, and was advised by the doctor that she bring the father along with her. The idea of breaking the news to Dean sent a flood of worry through her. She wasn't sure how he'd react. Hell, it had only been two weeks since his proposal. Everything was moving so fast. They were planning on getting married in the spring, which was some two months away and the thought of waddling down the aisle with an evident baby bump scared her. In reality, she felt she wasn't ready to become a parent. Her own mom had abandoned her at a young age so she knew nothing of what being a mother looked like. She wasn't sure if she was even capable of learning. This terrified her more than anything else; even more than the imminent danger she now faced. She didn't want to fail as a mother just like hers had.

Although they hadn't really spoken in depth about having kids, Alaine knew with absolute certainty that Dean would be a great father. When she thought of him, she couldn't help remembering the story he once shared with her during the time of their friendship. It had been months ago yet she recalled the details with clarity, and although she promised to never speak of it again, the memory of his sadness always haunted her. Thinking of it now made her understand why at the passing mention of having children, Dean's eyes would somewhat glisten. Some years ago he'd been tricked by an Amazonian into fathering a child. When he caught onto the woman's treachery, the baby had already been born, and had morphed into a full-fledge teen in the span of just days. He tried to reason with her, to convince the child of doing the right thing, however it had been too late. Influenced by her own Amazonian nature, she refused to listen to reason. The entire ordeal had been devastating; having to watch his own brother shoot his daughter dead in order to save his life. Dean even confessed to occasionally mourning her death. Regardless of what Sam's opinion had been, of the circumstances surrounding her conception, Emma had been his first child, and Dean had been robbed of that.

The story pained Alaine so profoundly that as she sat in the silence of the library, her hand clutching subconsciously at her stomach, tears pricked at the corners of her eyes. That traumatic experience was one of the reasons why she chose to follow through with this pregnancy. The doctor had attempted to emphasize her other options, one of them being adoption, but Alaine was adamant in her decision. As terrified and unprepared as she was, she had no right to take this away from Dean. This baby was his just as much as it was hers and she couldn't bare the thought of him being robbed of yet another child.

Wiping at her eyes, she reached a trembling hand into her coat pocket to retrieve her cellphone. The ringer had been set to silent during her visit at the doctor's so she hadn't been aware of the six missed calls and four text messages she'd been left. Upon inspection she realized Dean had been attempting to reach her for the past hour and-a-half. She swiftly moved to type out an explanatory text when his contact photo suddenly appeared on her screen. It was an incoming video call. Her heart jumped in her chest. Quickly she propped her cellphone against a stack of books lying on the table and fixed her disheveled hair before hitting accept.

She watched her screen adjust as his image came through the call. Dean was sitting with his back against a wooden headboard, a pillow placed in between for support. He was wearing a tailored dress shirt and tie and his eyes seemed to be focused on something else other than his phone. She could hear the faint clicking of keys, indicating he was using his computer. She watched him shuffle slightly and the angle of the camera shift as he adjusted the laptop over his lap. When he glanced over to where his phone rested against the corner of the screen, a warm smile spread along his lips.