Chapter 40: Reboot

Start from the beginning

"[F/N]... look at me..."

Slowly you raised your head. You stared into Connor's russet eyes for a long time. At the sight of the liquid pooling in Connor's, your eyes also flooded with tears.

"Is it... is it really you?" Connor whispered, his voice hoarse. He touched your cheek. You clasped his hand, letting your head rest into his palm.

"Yes Connor... it's me."

With those simple words, Connor leaned forward and kissed you. You leaned into his embrace. His kiss was soft and inviting. He then pulled away, pressing his lips to the top of your head as he held you in his arms.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered, tracing lines on your back with his fingertips. "I'm sorry I was away for so long..."

"It's okay," You replied. "I knew you would come back."

You both smiled then. It was not a happy smile, but one of relief. Of gratitude that you were both alive, and together in that moment. You wished that moment could last forever. But you knew it could not, and forced yourself to stand up from the bed.

"We can't stay here. Someone may be here soon. Are you able to stand?" You reached your hand towards Connor. It was the one that the RK900 had bandaged.

"Your wrist..." Memories flashed back to him. There had once been something metallic under your skin there.

"Yes, I know... it's a long story."

Connor's eyes trailed from your wrist to the rest of your body. Your eyes followed his as you noticed your dark cargo pants, and dark jacket over your white singlet. Your clothing was torn in some places and stained with thirium in others. Connor took your hand but barely tugged on it, seemingly afraid to hurt your wrist, and stood up. He seemed taller than you could remember as he looked down at you. Your eyes trailed from his face to his exposed torso. The wound had healed up now, revealing his muscular chest stained with thirium. They certainly made androids... realistic. You felt your face flush and glanced away.

"Your heart rate is increasing. Is something wrong?"

You unzipped your cargo jacket and held it out to him. It was already quite large and bulky on your frame, so you thought it may fit Connor.

"You can't walk around half naked..." You muttered, "Here, put this on."

Connor complied, taking your jacket and easily slipping it on. As he zipped it up, you let out a breath you hadn't realized you had been holding. Connor's lips twitched into a slight smile.

"I can recall you saying that I have seen you half-naked before. It's only fair that I return the favor."

If your face couldn't have gotten any redder, it just did. As you half covered your face in chagrin, you turned away from him; And your eyes fell on the RK900 still leaning on the bed. Immediately, your embarrassment went away. Connor followed your gaze and also noticed the android. You crouched to the RK900, gently moving his limp arms to rest over his chest.

"I'm so sorry..." You whispered, feeling tears well up in your eyes again.

"That android... he's the one that confronted me in the warehouse."

Slowly you raised your head to look at Connor. His expression was a mix of wariness and confusion. He shook his head slowly, seemingly at the memories that clouded his thoughts.

"That heart that's now inside you... it belonged to him." Your voice cracked slightly on the last word. Connor touched a hand to his chest.

"Then these memories..."

"They are his as well."

For a long moment, Connor stood in silence, his eyes moving from his own chest to the RK900 laying limp against the bed. Then he gently moved you away, picking up the RK900.

"What are you doing?"

"We can't just leave him here," Connor replied, "I don't trust him, but he helped you, and he helped me. There must be something we can do for him in return."

"But he no longer has a heart... without it he could never..." You gasped, remembering something. The android you had left in the elevator. The android would be deactivated, but his heart would still be compatible.

"I have an idea... I'm not sure if it will work. But it is worth a try."

Connor nodded his reply and without a word, you both quickly left the room.

---

As Connor followed you up the hallway, he gazed around at the many doors lining the walls. Somewhere deep in his memories, he could recall waking up in a room much like these ones, when he was first developed. The thought made him shudder. He never wanted to be locked in a room like these ones ever again.

As you continued to walk towards the elevator, Connor asked you about other memories he was beginning to recall given to him from the RK900. Memories of you being Ra9, of your mechanical parts, of the fact that Kamski is your father. He asked you if they were true, even though he knew deep inside himself they were. Yet he still couldn't quite comprehend the fact that after all that time, all the crime scenes they had witnessed where Ra9 was scrawled on the walls, the true Ra9 had been with him all along.

"Watch your step," You murmured as you reached the elevator. Connor stepped over the threshold as you carefully approached the deactivated android. Connor laid the RK900 on the floor beside it. Connor gazed in confusion at the RK800.

"It feels odd to see another RK800," He whispered, a little sadly. "It makes me remember that I can be cloned." You squeezed his hand in your own.

"There can only ever be one of you Connor." He slowly looked at you at the sound of your voice. You smiled. "You are the only Connor I love..."

"I love you too."

Hesitantly, Connor looked away back at the deactivated android. He murmured an apology, and you quickly looked away as he pulled out the android's heart. You had seen enough thirium and synthetic hearts for one day.