•Chapter 27•

<Hazel's>

A few hours later, I'm ready to go and slightly nervous. I really don't want Jason to blow me off at the wedding... not that I think he would purposely, but I don't want him to be nervous to talk to me because he woke up hungover in my room.

I smooth out the red fabric one last time as I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in." I call as I in plug the curler and turn to put it in the bathroom. The door opens causing me to say, "Is it weird that I am nervous, I mean I-" I cut off as I turn around, seeing that it's not who I thought; it's my father.

His expression holds a slight pain to it as he looks at me. My eyes stare back at his for what seems like ages until he finally says, "You look beautiful."

I bite my lip at the word. That stupid word.

"You look a little like your mom." He admits, his eyes straying from mine. "She loved the color red, and she always loved a chance to dress up." He says before his tone shifts to a heavier one as he adds, "She always looked so amazing."

My eyes soften, forcing me to look away from him, my arms automatically crossing over my chest for some sort of comfort.

Why did he have to do that? Why did he have to remind me of what I already knew?

While he had dark, pitch black hair, I had her light brown hair. I was the one who had her hazel eyes and her nose. I was the one that already had to look in the mirror and see her staring back every single time, so why did he have to point it out?

Was he scared I had forgotten what she looked like? Because I have her face memorized. Every curve and wrinkle. Every expression. Even her last one.

"I miss her." I get out, my eyes stinging with unshed tears as my throat gets tighter.

"I know, sweetheart. I do too." He says, eyes eyes on me. He moves in for a hug, to which I quickly step back from.

He frowns just as I say, "I'm not ready." His eyes flash with pain before the emotion is completely wiped from his face. "I can't pretend that you didn't try to manipulate and lie to me."

"Hazel, I-"

"No." I interrupt before saying, "Actions speak louder than words and you keep say you are sorry, but it doesn't mean anything if you keep doing the same things over and over again. I can't forgive you. At least not until this is over."

"Hazel-"

"Hazel." Jason's voice cuts through my father's, causing my reddened eyes to meet his at the door. His eyes narrowed down to my cheeks, making me aware that the unshed tears I had did fall after all.

"Yeah?" I say trying to keep my voice as normal as possible.

"You ready to go?" He questions, his eyes looking from my father to me.

"Yeah." I smile lightly, trying to ignore the few tears that did slip out. "Could I have one second?"

"Of course." He says, shooting me one also half- smile and shooting my father one last glare before backing away from the door. He didn't close it, though, and I really didn't care at this point.

I step closer to my father and look up to him before saying, "This doesn't mean I forgive you." After his face turns to confusion, I pull him into a hug and rest my head on his shoulder.

He immediately hugs me back, his body stiff as if he were worried one wrong move would send me away from him.

I let out a small shaky breath before I whisper, "Please, be the person my mom fell in love with; don't be what your brother wants."