Chapter 8: Slime? Slime.

When we reached the lake we finally understood what our mothers had meant by cleaning the lake. 

The lake was divided into different sections by bits of rope that had old milk cartons attached to them to make them float. There were bits of rubbish floating in the lake along with some slimy green stuff. On the lakes shore there were old fold up chairs rusting, and covered in slime. 

The place was a dump. 

I assumed we only had to clean the part of the lake that was divided into sections for different age groups. 

That was still a lot of lake to clean though. 

Axel sat down on the rocky shore. "Well Jasmine, you better get started." 

I looked at him in my best bitch face while radiating vibes of "Don't mess with me." 

Axel stood up, "What? Couldn't you tell I was joking?" 

I began speaking in an emotionless voice, "Not really because your kind of a dick all the time so it's difficult to tell when your just pretending." 

I expected Axel to put his hand over his heart and feign hurt maybe even wipe away a non-existent tear, but that's not what he did. 

He looked genuinely hurt by what I'd said and I could feel the guilt creeping in.

Part of me had meant what I'd said sarcastically. Then again, the other part of me had been dead serious.

I don't like hurting people.

I know Axel is kind of a dick but there were a few moments where he was actually a nice guy. Even if those moments only lasted a minute or two.

"You do know that most of the time I'm joking right?" He looked into my dark brown eyes with his bright blue ones.

"Why didn't you try to help me when I fell the first time we met?" I asked. "You just stood there and laughed at me." 

Something in the back of my mind was saying yesterday between coughs. It felt like we'd known each other so much longer than yesterday. 

Axel looked down at a large piece of slime floating near us. 

"I don't know." He started "I guess I just thought that-" He paused. "You know what never mind." 

He scooped up the massive piece of slime near us and as quick as lightening and flung it at me. 

I was covered head to toe in slime. 

Just when I thought we were getting somewhere he had to go and be an ass. 

I was beginning to think that acting like an ass was some type of defence mechanism, for what I didn't know, but something. 

That didn't mean I was going to let him get away with throwing slime at me. 

I scooped up the closest bit of slime and flung it at Axel. On his head he now wore a turban of slime. 

Two hours later we were finally finished. 

There was no slime in the section of lake we had to clean, because Axel and I were coated in it.  We had replaced the old milk cartons attached to the dividing ropes with fresh ones, and dumped the rubbish. We had also decided to get rid of the old fold up chairs.

I thought it looked pretty spiffy.

"We did it!" I cried throwing my hands up in the air. 

"Damn right we did!" Axel chimed in.