Chapter Twenty-Three: Bailey

A month is a really long time, I know. Sorry. 

Brooke

PS

Song actually goes with the chapter, listen up, please.

Bailey

I woke up with a sense of peace, my eyes stayed closed relishing in the foreign feeling hmm . . . it’s been a long time since woke up and my mind hasn’t been bogged down by my past mistakes.

I shifted to my side the comforter slipping to my hip revealing a thin patch of skin, goosebumps broke across my skin at the cooler temperature. My hands tucked under my chin I inhaled deeply taking my time in officially waking up. A sound of content passed my lips as my eyes finally drifted open; slowly I took in my surroundings.

Gray walls, dark navy comforter, a small mountain of pillows had been formed in front of me and just at the edge of the bed was a black nose and big brown eyes. Stanley, J’s faithful golden retriever, sat waiting for me to officially wake up so he could make his presence be known.  

Propping myself up on my elbow I patted the down comforter. “Come on boy,” that was all he needed to jump up onto the California king size bed, padding over he laid down right next to me his wet nose nudging my hand to scratch his ears. “You are too much sometimes Stanley,” I laughed running my fingers through his silky coat.

Minutes trickled by as Stanley and I lay together each giving the other comfort without asking for it. I could have fallen back asleep I was so at ease and relaxed. I might have if I hadn’t heard the bedroom door being opened and in walked a shirtless J running a towel through his damp hair.

We stared at each other for a couple beats; the look he was giving me was as if something entirely different happened last night and would be continued well into this morning. Heat scorched through my cold limbs making the heavy comforter almost unbearable. I gave as good as I was getting, mentally drooling over how low his dark wash jeans hung on his hips revealing that deep V cut of muscle. My eyes traveled painfully slow up the rest of his body causing him to shift just slightly but enough that I saw it and smiled to myself. This scene was way too intimate, way too heavy for such a light morning.

“Good morning,” his rough tone sent more goosebumps speeding down my spine.

“Mornin’,” I replied tearing my gaze away as he walked around to his closet still running the towel through his hair. Stanley’s tail thumped excitedly next to my thigh but other than that restless tail he hadn’t moved to greet J. I looked down at the retriever and his paw now covered his eyes, his tail wagging even faster if that was possible.

J chuckled slipping a t-shirt over his head followed by a light grey hoodie with “Notre Dame Football” written across the chest. The hoodie made me smile, boys and their sports. “He knows he’s not supposed to be on the bed, so he’s hiding from Me.” he clarified reaching over to give Stanley a light tap on his rear end. “Alright boy, up and at em.” Stanley made a small groaning noise but reluctantly jumped up and off the bed padding down the hallway.

I sat up feeling just as reluctant as Stanley was to leave this bed. “What time is it?” I stretched my arms above my head, pulling my left and right arm across my chest to stretch out my shoulders. Despite what was said and discussed last night my body was tension free, I haven’t slept that soundly in a while not even in my own bed at home.

I still couldn’t get over that, I wasn’t even freaking out over sleeping in J’s bed with him not inches from me. That didn’t bother me, was it because I was in a relationship with him? You know what—never mind, not even going to touch that subject with a ten foot pole.