Chapter Nine: Nomad

"Hey," Jessa took a seat next to Happy at a picnic table just outside the Tacoma clubhouse

"Hey," Jessa took a seat next to Happy at a picnic table just outside the Tacoma clubhouse. "What're you doing out here by yourself?"

Happy took a drag from his cigarette, and as soon as he pulled it from his lips Jessa grabbed it and took a drag. He chuckled at her.

"What's so funny?" She asked him.

Happy shook his head. "Nothin',"

Jessa sat her hands in her lap and stared up at the night sky. A sigh escaped her lips.

"Thank you for coming to save me," She said quietly.

Happy looked at her, before reaching down and grasping her hand in his. "My pleasure,"

Jessa looked at their intwined hands and couldn't help but smile. Happy Lowman was holding her hand. Happy Lowman was being nice to her.

"How come you didn't tell me Koz got you pregnant?" Happy asked her. Jessa sucked in a breath.

"How do you know about that?" She questioned. "I know Herman didn't tell you,"

Happy shook his head again. "Lee told me, well, us. Jax and all the guys know now. They know everything,"

Jessa's eyes widened. "What? Everything?"

Happy nodded. "The only thing they don't know about is this little thing we have going on, whatever this is,"

Silence enveloped them as Jessa processed what Happy has just told her. She'd planned on telling Jax about Jason, about Kozik, about the pregnancy, the abuse, the miscarriage, she just didn't know how. Plus, she knew he'd never get over the fact that it was Kozik that had gotten her pregnant.

And Tig. Tig was probably going insane thinking about the fact that Jessa, who was practically his daughter, had been dating and gotten pregnant by the one guy he despised. What was she going to say to Tig?

"Are they mad?" She asked Happy quietly, who again shook his head.

"No. Not at you, anyway,"

"Are you mad?"

Happy looked at her, his brow raised in confusion. "Why would I be mad at you?"

Jessa shrugged. "Because I didn't tell you the truth about me and Herman,"

Happy moved so that he was facing her. "I ain't mad at you, I ain't got a reason to be, nobody is mad at you so stop blaming yourself for shit that ain't your fault,"

—————

"So you and Hap seem friendly," Jax said to Jessa as they stood outside preparing to head back to Charming. "How'd that happen?"

Jessa shrugged. "Like you said, he ain't so bad,"

Jax chuckled. "You wanna ride with him back to Charming? I know you hate how fast I go and honestly, I can't not do it,"

"Why's he coming?" Jessa questioned, confusion washing over her.

"He didn't tell you?" Jax asked. She shook her head. "He's going nomad. Coming down to Charming for a bit,"

Jessa had to resist the urge to smile. "Oh. Did he say why he decided to go nomad?"

Jax shook his head. "Nah, but knowing Hap it's just because he don't like being tied down,"

Happy walked up to the two Teller siblings, having heard his name mentioned. "You two talkin' shit 'bout me?"

Jessa smiled at him as Jax chuckled. "Jessa wants to ride with you. She don't like ridin' with me," He told Happy, who simply nodded.

"Let's get on the road!" Clay shouted as he came out of the Tacoma clubhouse. "Got a long drive ahead of us,"

Jessa hugged her brother and kissed his cheek before following Happy over to his bike. Hap took his extra helmet and sat it on her head, clasping the hook before doing the same on himself. The two climbed onto the bike, and Happy started it up.

"Hold on tight, little girl,"

———————

Eleven Hours Later

The bikers, plus Jessa, arrived back to Charming exhausted and glad to be home. Happy dropped Jessa off at Clay and Gemma's house, and to say Gemma was excited to see her daughter would be an understatement.

"I'm so glad you're okay, baby," She said as she hugged Jessa tightly. "I was so worried. I'm sorry for pressing you about Happy, it ain't any of my business,"

Jessa sighed and she and Gemma sat down in the living room. "I'll tell you about Happy as long as you promise to keep it between us," She said. "You can't tell anybody, not even Clay,"

Gemma nodded. "Absolutely. Stays between you and me,"

Jessa sucked in a breath and looked down, fiddling with her fingers. "Well, the night Jax made me go talk to Hap, we got super drunk and slept together. And then, when I left and went to Oakland, Kozik came down from Tacoma. He and I had sex a few times and then he left to go back. And then, Happy showed up at the motel. Said he passed Kozik on the way down, and then we fucked,"

Gemma's eyes were wide as she tried to process everything Jessa was telling her.

"Wait, there's more," Jessa took another breath. "Then, everything went to shit and Nick, Jason's brother, kidnapped me and took me some place. I was knocked out most of the time so I don't know much. Happy went with the guys to come and save me or whatever, and then when we got back to the Tacoma clubhouse, Hap and I were sitting outside and he held my hand,"

Gemma was shocked. "He held your hand?"

Jessa nodded. "Yeah. I know, so out of character for him,"

"And now he's gone nomad," Gemma said, smirking at Jessa. "Which means he can spend as much time in Charming as he wants,"

Jessa nodded, licking her lips. She was glad that Happy was going to possibly be spending more time in Charming now that he'd gone nomad.

"Oh hey, I talked to your boss at the diner," Gemma said. "She said to come back whenever you're ready,"

Jessa covered her face with her hands and let out an exasperated sigh. "Fuck, I'm the worst employee ever,"

Gemma grabbed Jessa's shoulders and shook her lightly. "You are not," She said. "It's not your fault our family comes with a lot of complications,"

—————