2- Falling To Our Knees

Maria pov

I feel so much better now that Jeremy said he'd help me with my geography. Plus I get to go to A&W!

I skipped into my English class. Ms Martin was my favourite teacher, other than Jeremy but he's practically family. I sat at my desk and started to copy down the note that was on the board. I felt my long auburn hair being swooshed in its ponytail on my back. I turned around in my seat knowing it was Gemma, my best friend.

"Hey Bitch!" I greeted smiling.

"Hello Jackass!" She laughed. Gemma is a petite blonde girl who always had a bright view on life. She was always laughing. She was loyal, protective and good-hearted. She was just who I needed in my life as my best friend.

"Did you get the notes down yet?" I asked. She nodded.

"You'll never guess what I heard." she squealed. "Mr Alpha has a date with a girl at lunch! I'll bet you she's his mate!"

"Eww!" I said. "I am not Alpha Jeremy's mate!"

"Oh you're going on a date with the Alpha?" she asked, her eyebrows rocketed high on her forehead.

"Gross, no." I scrunched my nose up. "He's going to help me in geography. Ms. F mashes her words together so badly I can't understand."

"Oh. Okay then I'm glad he's waiting for his mate." she smiled wistfully. "Maybe I'll be his mate. Four more months..." she trailed off as class began.

***

I almost spit my root-beer out when Jeremy walked into the door when he was coming back with my backpack.

"That's not funny." he said while laughing. "Maybe a little."

Jeremy explained everything to me over burgers, french fries and onion rings. We left the parking lot in a hurry to get back to the school.

"You know, you turn twenty four on Friday, you should have a party." I told Jeremy while smiling and nodding my head.

"It's all planned out. This year, whether I have a Luna or not, Dad is gonna give me the title. As a last ditch effort we're inviting packs from all around the world. I need my Luna." We pulled into the parking lot and Jeremy slammed his head on the horn of his Ferrari. "I can't take this much longer!"

"Just hang in there. I've heard recently more Alphas have been given human mates." I say reassuringly. "I gotta get to Study Hall. Bye Jerebear!" I kissed his cheek quickly.

Jeremy pov

I watched as Maria into the building. Her brown cowboys boots clicking on the steps. Her tripping and catching herself in the door. I laughed as I pulled her green backpack out of my car.

I sauntered into the library knowing that this was Maria's study hall period. I set it on the chair beside her then crossed the hall to my classroom.

I was in the middle of a lecture, when the cellphone I use for pack business rang. I told my students to read chapter 28 in their textbook before answering.

"Alpha?" A little voice squeaked.

"Soon to be. What's wrong?" I asked gently. The little voice could only belong to Taylor, a little girl in the pack.

"The Alpha encountered some rogues while on patrol. He's bleeding severely." I said goodbye and in my Alpha voice said that school was over and to meet in the pack house. I sent the message to the office and they relayed it over the loud speakers.

Maria came running up to me. I whispered what was happening into her ear and she went pale. I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her outside. I opened the door to her truck then buckled her as she was shaking.

"Everything will be alright." I assured her. I stepped on the running board and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Follow me home."

I shut her door then jumped into my car. I tore out of the parking lot with Maria on my tail.

***

We ran into the Alpha's quarters where my dad and my brothers and I lived. Ryder and Matt were already there. My father was gasping for breath. The end was near.

"Maria leave the room for a minute. Put your headphones in too." I said. Maria obeyed.

"Dad, before mom died, there was another baby." As I said this his eyes went wide. He was fighting to stay now.

"It was a girl." Ryder said. "And she's still alive. We didn't tell because it needs to be a secret, but now you need to know."

"Who?" my father wheezed.

"Maria." Matt replied curtly.

"Let me kiss her one time, I won't tell." he groaned as he exhaled. I opened the door and Maria shuffled in. Ryder pulled her to our father's side.

Maria bent down and Dad pressed his lips to her cheek. A tear fell down his face before he smiled and coughed blood.

"Just," wheeze, "like your..." he coughed blood again and Maria cleaned the blood away with a cloth.

"Hayley?" he smiled and then his head slipped out of Maria's hands and killed to the side. I small trickle of blood ran out of his mouth.

The loss of the Alpha ripped through the pack. We huddled together for comfort and fell to our knees. Maria was sobbing as we silently let our tears flow.

Our parents were gone.

~~~~~~~~

Good update? Yes? No? Let me know.