Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

    "thank you, and remember if you need anything please don't hesitate to call me, I'm always here for you no matter what" she says placing her hand on Maddie's, she smiles at the gesture but realizes that she has seen something by the look on her face.

    "Bonnie?"

    "I saw it when I touched you, it was Kai" she whispers

    "what are you talking about?"

    "it was him, he created a spell and was able to give you a child" she says in shock

    "he did?"

    "yes, in the 1903 prison world, it almost killed him"

    "Bonnie I need some-"

"I know, I'll leave you" she says softly before walking out of the room leaving her alone. Maddie stared down at her stomach in shock, tears rush to her eyes as she pictures Kai sacrificing his life in order to give her this gift. Her eyes widen as she remembers their conversation not too long ago, she had said it was her dream to be a mother, but she hadn't thought he would take it this seriously. For the first time since he died she feels herself smile genuinely as happy tears fall down her face, she rubs her fast-growing stomach, thinking 'perhaps this is all I need'.

-

Hours after Bonnie left the girl was alone once again, this time completely, both of the brothers had gone out to take care of some pressing issue and forced her to stay home. Not that she minded, she needed to make sure she stayed safe in order to protect the baby. The sound of soft footsteps behind her causes Maddie to whip around and she stares in shock at the man whose life was ruined because of Kai.

    "Ric how are you?" she asks standing and walking over to him cautiously

    "how do you think I'm doing?"

    "I'm sorry that was a dumb question, what can I help you with?"

    "I heard about the baby, I thought I should come by and congratulate you in person" he says with a dark look in his eyes that she hadn't seen in years

    "Thank you, it's a girl actually I just found out. I decided to have her middle name be Josett, In honor of one of the best women I know, it doesn't make up for anything but it's a start" she says remembering Bonnie.

    "you're right it doesn't make up for what he did, how in my right mind can I allow his child to be born when he murdered mine?" he asks revealing a crossbow with a wooden arrow pointed straight at her stomach, her heart stops and she lifts her hands in defense.

     "Ric you know how sorry I am, but you don't have to do this, we have nothing to do with what happened that night!"

    "you have everything to do with it! He loved you and now I'm gonna send you straight to him", before she has time to react he rushes at her and she throws him into the wall, he recovers quickly and picks up his bow.

    "lets not make this too hard now, an eye for an eye"

    "Ric listen to me, what Kai did to them was awful, but this my baby is all I have" she says backing from him and holding her hands up as he aims at her once again

    "Jo was all I had! Kai didn't hesitate to kill her or my unborn children"

"Ric you don't want to do this, don't be like him" she begs, her words seem to resonate with him, and he drops his crossbow onto the ground. As it hits the arrow is triggered and before she can catch it the wood buries itself into her stomach and she screams in pain. Blood spreads through her shirt and she falls to her knees, Ric runs over as guilt takes over his expression.

    "I am so sorry, I have to take it out" he says bending down next to her and placing his hand on the arrow

    "no that will kill the baby"

"Maddie the baby is gone" he says sadly, she lays her head back and feels numbness take over her body. This child was the last thing she had left of kai, and now she's dead. Ric rips out the arrow and she stays silent, too numb to feel the pain. The overwhelming amount of grief crushes her soul and she lays on the ground ignoring Ric as he leaves after a few minutes, she feels her stomach heal itself but she doesn't bother to get up. She stays in the same spot for hours until she feels somebody shaking her body, the pain is too much and she can't bring herself to speak as she stares into Damon's eyes. The girl closes her eyes and prays for something to help, anything in the world to take this god-awful pain away. It was worse than any injury she'd ever received and she'd do anything to never feel it again, she suddenly remembers all vampires have our very own handy emotions switch. She closes her eyes and feels something inside shift as all the pain melts away. She suddenly jumps up and looks at Damon who knows exactly what she's done and steps forward to grab her arm, she backs away and smirks at him.

"ok enough of that, I'm hungry"