Three.

You roll over, looking at your phone disdainfully as it blares its alarm.
You grab your phone and dismiss it.
You sit up and stretch your arms in the air above your head.
Looking out the window, you saw a few fluffy clouds in an otherwise clear morning sky. You smile and stand up, slipping on your slippers that were by the bed.

Grabbing your work clothes, you head off to the bathroom to get a shower before you go.

______________

You walk into the cat room and are immediately surrounded by mewling kittens.
You crouch down, letting them place their cute little paws on you as they practically try and climb you.
You chuckle and grab their milk bowl, pouring the cat formula milk into it.
You'd try and give them some soft food when you got back.

As soon as you place the bowl down, they swarm around it and start lapping up their meal.
With a smile on your face, you quietly leave the room.

On the way out to your car, you grab your breakfast burrito out of the microwave, which you had left to cook while you fed the cats.

Checking that you have your keys, phone, wallet & burrito, you put on your shoes and head to your car.
Glancing over at the neighbors driveway, you notice that the car from last night is gone.
You get into your car and slide the key into the ignition. Just as the engine turns over, you notice the youngest, Thomas, come out of his house. He had his backpack and school uniform on, ready for his day. You roll down your window and wave at him, Thomas smiles and waves back before starting his walk to school.

_____________

You pull back up to your driveway, tired after a long day at work and ready to just go inside and get some rest.

Turning the ignition off and taking out the key, you hop out of the car, making sure to lock it.

As you walk to your door, you notice movement in your neighbors yard.
Looking over, you see that its the oldest son of your neighbors, the one you thought might be interested in one of your kittens.
Should you approach him? It could be awkward, since you don't even remember his name..

With only a moment of apprehension, you decide "fuck it" and to face the possibly awkward situation head on.

You begin to walk towards the short, hip height fence that seperates your & your neighbors yards.
As you approach, you see that he appears to be crouched down, looking over the flowers growing on said fence.

Once your a bit closer, you speak up.
"Uhm, H-Hey!"
He looks up at you.
For some reason, you're taken aback by his eyes, and your pace slows.

Seeing your sudden apprehension, he sends you a comforting smile.
"Yes? What is it?"

You reach the fence, gently placing a hand on it.
You were about three feet away from him with a fence between the two of you, yet still felt uncomfortable around this guy, even though he had such a soft look on his face.

"Sorry for interrupting you." You said, voice wavering slightly.
"Not at all!" He pipes up, tone friendly and casual. "After all, we're neighbors. What can I do for you (Y/N)?"
You calm down some, due to him acting so familiar towards you. Though.. You don't remember telling him your name?

No, no. His siblings have talked with you before, they told him!
Don't be silly (Y/N).

"Ah, well.." You avert your eyes a bit. His cat had died a year ago, but it still might be a touchy subject, you never know.
"I heard from Lisa and Thomas that you like cats, is that true?" His expression showed some curiosity.
"I love cats, actually. Why do you ask?"
He stands up now, showing his full height. You were surprised that the teen was already an inch or so taller then you.

"I'm looking for a good home for some very sweet kittens, and I was wondering if you'd be interested?"
His eyes visibly light up at your words.
No, like literally light up.
You could have sworn that his eyes were glowing for a mere moment.
"Kittens?!" He says, excitement clearly noticeable in his voice.

"Yeah" His interest has picked up your confidence just a bit.
"I have five, actually."
You were going to say more, but he interrupted.
"Can I see them?" He asks, stepping closer. The big smile on his face seemed excited & Genuine.

"Sure! Would you like to see some pictures or do you want me to bring them out to see them in perso-"
Before you could finish, your neighbors garage door opens.
The parents immediately notice & glare at you, it was almost creepy how the homed in on you.
"Cecil? What's going on?" The mother asks. Her voice doesn't sound forceful, but rather concerned instead.

"Nothing, mother. Do you need some help?"
He's such a polite boy
You think, watching as he approaches his mother.
"No dear, I'm alright." She glances over at you "Why don't we go inside?"
"If you'd like." He responds.

She leads him back inside through the garage. He waves at you as he heads back inside.
You wave back before leaving.
You hear him say "Mother, I was thinking about getting another cat." As he closes the garage door.

Yes
Maybe you'll try and ask him which cat he'd like later. You smile to yourself as you turn around to head inside. But before you could, you see Thomas peeking his head around the corner of the house.
You wave at him and he waves back happily.
He trots up to the fence with a big smile on his face.
"You have kittens?"

"Yep! You wanna see some pictures?" You ask him as you pull your phone out of your pocket.
"Yeah!" He sounds really excited to see them, which makes you pretty happy too.

You pull up an album full of cat pictures on your phone. You squat down an hold your phone up for him to see the screen.
"Oh! Are the white ones twins?"
His eyes are shining with excitement as you scroll through the pictures.
You smile "Yeah! Their names are Cotton & Candy."
He points to another cat and asks their name.
"That's Aroura." You point to another cat and continue "And this is Koi. And the last one is Luco."

The two of you looked through the pictures until he mentioned that he had to do his homework.
You waved goodbye, and he says "I'll ask mom if I can get a cat!"

You smile as he goes inside
TWO CATS!
You head inside, wondering what cats they might want. Maybe they'll take the twins? Maybe Lisa will want one too? That sounds like a lot though. that's three cats, after all.
A household with no pets suddenly deciding to adopt three.. That's too optimistic.
As much as you want them to find good homes, you've gotta be realistic.
One cat getting a good home is a step in the right direction, don't be too ambitious.