One.

You live in a nice place. Its not big enough to be a city, or small enough to be a town.
You have a few friends, have friendly coworkers and you get along well with your neighbors.
Well, mostly.
The family that lives in the house to the left of you are rather critical of you. They're a highly religious family with three adopted children. The kids are mostly friendly. the youngest, Thomas, helps you weed your garden in return for a reasonable amount of money.
Their daughter, Lisa, is very bookish and shy. but every now and then you'll ask her about what she's reading, and she lights up with excitement.
The oldest is a boy whose name you don't really remember.
He's regarded as the perfect son by his parents. He goes to their church every Sunday, keeps his siblings in line, never causes trouble, is very academically gifted, keeps in good shape, he's sociable at church, etc, etc.
Yet you never really spoke much to him, despite your best efforts to hold a conversation. He always seemed to you like he thought he was better then others.
But as previously stated, you had barely ever spoken to him, and didn't think you could judge him on that alone. He might have just adopted the same attitude his parents have towards you.
They dislike you for a couple of reasons, though the big issue they have with you is that you don't go to church.
(A/N: This doesn't mean you aren't religious. If you are then it means there are no churches where you live that follow your particular doctrine. example: Catholic, Jewish, wiccan, Protestant, etc.)

Despite that, you always try and be friendly. Kill'em with kindness, right?
But all in all you were fairly comfortable here.

Usually.

"(Y/N)! Get moving! stock the shelves on aisle 8 please."
That man with the bags under his eyes, yeah, he's your manager.
He's not the worst manager you've ever had, but he's still pretty strict.
"Got it" you say aloud.

This was your job at the moment. Stocking shelves.
It wasn't a bad job or anything, just a little repetitive. At least pushing the cart has given you some pretty good upper body strength.
Also, the pay is reasonable considering your fairly short hours.

Looking up at the clock, you see that after finishing this aisle, its probably time to go.
While straightening and sorting the shelves, you look outside and see some clouds forming, the dark stormy kind.

Great
You thought
I didn't bring an umbrella

And unfortunately, just as you left, it decided to start drizzling.
Running with a bag held over your head, which is barely helping at all.
The rain was starting to get worse, looking around, the only cover was a bus stop.
After a quick glance around, you decide to hide from the rain. It has defeated you this time.
Rushing inside, you take solace in the lack of water drops assaulting you. The rain doesn't seem like it will let up anytime soon.
You sit down on one of the provided benches and set the bag down next to you, leaning your head back against the wall behind you.
The rain was pounding on the ceiling now. It was so loud that you almost didn't hear the faint sound coming from under the bench.
Not sure if you really heard anything, you wait for a second. And sure enough, there it is again. A quiet little meow coming from beneath the seat.

Getting down on your knees and taking a peek, you see a box tucked away.
You drag it out, earning a loud and confused mew from its contents.
Your eyes widen at what you see.
Cats.
Kittens, actually!
Adorable, tiny, fluffy kittens!
You gently touch one, who mews loudly in response. You smile at their cuteness.
Until you realized that they're probably very hungry.
There was some untouched hard food, but they were far too young for hard food. Maybe soft cat food would work. But you could guess that they would need milk.

Feeling kinda urgent, you pick up the box and place your phone inside before laying the bag over the top to keep the cats dry as you go.
There was a vet a few blocks away, surely they would know what to do.

After about two hours at the vet, you got to take them home. They even gave you some kitten care supplies and milk. You guess you could keep them for a while. For now that was fine, though you knew that you couldn't keep 5 cats. Maybe two.
But you'll definitely need to find them some homes. They were so cute that it surely wouldn't be hard at all.

Thankfully, after the lengthy vet visit, the rain was pretty much gone, and you could walk home normally.

|(A/N): what do you think so far? I'm not sure myself, but I hope its okay.)|