Chapter 18 - Resignation

Author note: Will Halstead will be making a few appearances going forward. I don't watch Chicago Med (I know I should and I will get around to it at some point) so I don't know if I'm writing Will properly, so apologises if he doesn't fit with Will's personality but for the sake of this story let's just go with it.

---------------------------------------------

Jay sat at the table in the restaurant sipping a whiskey on the rocks waiting for Will to arrive. Jay was early but was thankful he had had an excuse to leave the office. He couldn't take sitting at his desk anymore.

The tension in the Intelligence Unit couldn't have been more palpable. Everyone felt it, everyone knew Lexi had kissed Kelly, they had seen the evidence. Jay felt they were all pitying him or judging him for still being with her, if that's what he was? Was he still with her? He couldn't decide.

Jay hadn't spoken to Lexi, he hadn't even said goodbye to her when he left to meet Will, he had just announced to the room he was leaving and would see everyone tomorrow. Lexi had been smart enough not to try to speak to him, the office wasn't the place for relationship dramas.

Nothing she said would make him feel better, plus what could she say that she hadn't already said? She was sorry, he knew that, and he didn't want to be angry with her, he understood her history with Kelly made everything complicated.

Voight had made the decision to not put the latest photos on the board, but the image was burned in to Jay's mind. "Can I get another?" Jay asked holding up his empty glass as the waitress passed his table.

"Sure thing" she smiled taking his empty glass.

"Starting without me?" Will asked approaching the table taking off his jacket and putting it on the back of his chair.

Jay stood and hugged his brother "Hey Will, it's good to see you"

"Good to see you too Brother" Will embraced him.

They ordered their dinner and Jay told Will about being at the cabin with Lexi, with the exception of the last night they spent together. He hadn't seen or spoke to Will since he and Lexi had returned from the cabin, a lot had happened.

"So enough of the small talk" Will said after the waitress cleared their empty dinner plates from the table and bought them both a whiskey on the rocks. "What's going on with you?"

Jay shook his head and took a sip of his glass of water. "How much time do you have?"

"All the time in the world for you baby bro" Will said leaning on the table to show Jay he was there for him, ready to listen.

Jay took a deep breath, where to begin. "Lexi and I finally made it official"

Will couldn't help but look a little shocked. "Not sure whether to say I'm happy for you or ask you if you've lost your mind?"

Jay sat back in his chair and picked imaginary dirt from the table cloth. "Maybe a little"

"Jay man" Will began shaking his head at his brother "she just lost her sister and broke up with her fiancé"

"I'm aware" Jay snapped a little too sharply.

"Are you?" Will asked a little amazed at his Jay's behaviour. He knew how Jay felt about Lexi, but his timing was completely off.

"Would you like to see the dessert menu?" The waitress asked approaching the table. They both smiled at her and took the menus, thankful for the interruption.

"I mean I'm happy for you" Will told Jay watching him pretend to read his menu "I know it's what you've wanted since you met her, but I have to say you don't seem happy"