Chapter 12 - Confessions.

Jay had fallen to sleep when Lexi left to rescue Kelly. He woke up feeling happy, she had told him she loved him. He woke and checked the clock, it was 4am, Lexi had been gone three hours. She shouldn't have been gone this long. The bar was only 30 minutes away, it was an hour and half round trip, at most. Jay picked up his phone from the nightstand and pushed Lexi's name from the recent calls list.

The phone rang, then her voicemail picked up. Jay hung up without leaving a message. He got out of bed and went to the kitchen. He stood leaning against the sink a glass of water in hand, his mind racing, had she been in an accident? Was she talking with Kelly? Had they got in to a fight and both been arrested? A million questions raced through his mind, then he heard her key in the door.

"Hey" he greeted her as she passed the kitchen walking directly in to the living room. She didn't respond to him, she threw her keys on the coffee table and took off her jacket throwing it over the nearest chair. Jay could tell she had been crying, her eyes were puffy and red, "What happened?"

"Did Kelly ask you where I was?" Guilt took over Jay's features giving Lexi her answer. She ran her hands over her face laughing without humour.

"Let me explain" Jay began taking a step towards her. Lexi took a step back; she didn't want him to touch her right now she was angry.

"Go ahead"

"I was going to tell you, I was. But then I saw you, you weren't good, you weren't coping. I didn't want you to talk to him and him to add to the misery."

Lexi exploded "THAT WASN'T YOUR DECISION TO MAKE!"

"YES, IT WAS!" Jay yelled. They both stood staring down the other, neither one willing to back down. "Lexi, you didn't see yourself. After that first week at the cabin you were a mess, you didn't even look like you, you looked like a ghost of you!" Jay sat on the arm of the chair nearest to him as his anger subsided. "It scared me to see you that way. I didn't think talking to him would help you. Then I saw you again and you were doing better, you looked better and I didn't tell you in case it made you take a step back"

Lexi calmed down and sat on the sofa. She understood his intent, he hadn't done it to be malicious or hurt her, or to even hurt Kelly, he was thinking about her, he had done what he thought was best for her. "You should have told me; you should have let me make the decision"

"And if you had spoken to him?" Jay queried "What about us? Would this be happening right now? Would we be together?"

"I guess we'll never know" Lexi sighed standing up "I'm tired, I'm going to bed."

Jay followed her, he sat on the edge of the bed and watched her undress, throwing her clothes over the chair in the corner of the room. "What happened with Kelly?"

She focused on pulling off her jeans and socks rather than looking at him. "It doesn't matter"

"Don't do that" Jay warned "don't treat me like some second-rate hook-up. What happened?"

"He kissed me okay?" she threw her clothes down with force, why did he have to push, why did he have to know? She stood up straight and looked him in the eyes. "Told me he loves me, wants a second chance and he kissed me, happy now?"

Jay shook his head and chewed his bottom lip, he didn't want to know the answer to his next question, but he had to ask. "Did you kiss him back?"

Lexi sighed and sat on the chair, on top of her discarded clothes in her underwear. "Yes" she admitted. It didn't matter that she had pushed Kelly away, she had kissed him, it didn't matter how long the kiss had lasted, she knew in her heart she had wanted to kiss him, and Jay deserved the truth.