Chapter 6 - "If I Ever Lose You"

One Year later.

Gabby, Matt, Lexi and Kelly walked in to Molly's together. "Next time the girls pick the movie" Gabby announced walking to the bar.

"I second that motion" Lexi agreed standing beside her at the bar. Matt gave their drinks order to Herrmann.

"It wasn't that bad" Matt told them laughing as Lexi surveyed the bar looking for Shay.

"Please the acting was awful, it was just an excuse to put half naked women on screen" Gabby concluded taking her drink from Herrmann and handing Lexi hers.

Kelly shrugged laughing "I liked it." Lexi rolled her eyes at her fiancé before walking to the table Shay occupied with Ruzek, Halstead, Burgess and Cruz.

Everyone exchanged greetings. "How was the movie?" Ruzek asked.

Gabby began to rant about how awful the movie was, half naked women who couldn't act to give overcompensating men something to ogle at. Lexi agreed with all her points and a sexist debate erupted.

"So, you never went to see Magic Mike?" Cruz asked looking from Gabby and Lexi.

"That's different" Gabby began protesting.

Lexi eyed Jay across the table as he took his phone from his pocket and frowned at the screen. He excused himself from the debate and answered the call as he walked towards the toilets, seeking a quiet place to take the call. Lexi watched him, his lips were moving but his eyes were a million miles away, she could tell he wasn't seeing the people in the bar, he wasn't seeing anything in front of him. He was off in some distant land, a memory of a time before now.

Lexi excused herself from the table and walked to Jay. She stood in front of him as he finished his phone call and put his phone in his pocket. She touched his arm and he jumped at the contact, it bought him back to reality.

Jay eyes focused on her and he didn't need to speak she pulled him in to her embracing him. "Michael Nash is dead" He spoke in to her shoulder "he took his own life." Lexi recognised the name, he was Jay's ranger friend. They had served together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later Lexi leant on the bonnet of Jay's car outside of his apartment building. Her packed overnight bag sat at her feet. She had been there twenty minutes when Jay emerged from his building carrying his own overnight bag looking like he hadn't slept.

Jay walked to his car with his head down looking at his phone. He put his phone in his pocket and looked up, stopping two foot from the car when he saw her, he looked at her bag on the floor. "Did you really think I was letting you do this alone?" Lexi asked smiling at him.

Jay shook his head smiling "Voight?" he asked questioning how she had got the time off work. He picked her bag up and walked to the trunk.

"I had a couple days owed" Lexi told him shrugging it off.

Jay closed the trunk and looked over the car at her "Kelly?"

Lexi walked to the passenger door and looked over the car at Jay as he walked to the driver's door. "He'll get over it." Lexi told him getting in to the car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay and Lexi sat at the bar where Michael Nash's wake was taking place. Michael's funeral had been a good send off, the wake had been a celebration of his life rather than a mourning. His ranger buddies had all told stories and his brother had given a lovely speech.