Noah opened the door for me. His car sat at the end of the driveway, crookedly parked. With each step that I took, I started to panic. This is a bad idea. I don't even know where we're going. I wanted more than anything to just be normal, to let loose and have fun with him, but I couldn't. I searched my thoughts for a reason but came up empty-handed. My mind just wouldn't let me escape. It was like I was trapped with the key just out of reach. I knew what I wanted to say but every thought I had felt wrong. I had to force my feet to move.

"Samara?" Noah's voice brought me out of my paralyzing thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"I was just saying that I can give you a hand into the car?" He offered.

"Um, I got it. Thanks." I blurted, instantly regretting it. He walked around to the driver's side and I slid my crutches onto the back seat. I stumbled, catching myself by grabbing onto the handle of the car door. Why didn't I let him help me? "So, where are we going?"

"You'll see." Noah started the car and backed out of the driveway. I hated not knowing what lay ahead. Noah was the kind of guy who would want to sweep me off my feet with the surprises he had in store but with everything that had happened, I had enough surprises to last a lifetime. I tried to convince myself that this surprise would be different, it was a good surprise. "Do you want to listen to music?"

"Yeah sure," I muttered, still looking down at my hands.

The music boomed throughout the car and I jumped startled. Noah reached over, turning it down. "Shit, I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

We fell into silence. I leaned against the door, humming along with the music. I racked my brain for something to say, something that I could ask him but came up empty-handed. It was like someone had wiped my brain clean of everything I'd ever known about Noah.

"We're here." He pulled up in front of Delano's, a restaurant located on the bougie part of town. My dad had taken my mom there for their anniversary. Suddenly I felt underdressed, the opposite of what I had been worrying about earlier.

He opened his door, about to get out but I grabbed his arm. "I um- isn't this expensive?" His touch sent warmth through my body. I quickly took my hand away.

"I got it don't worry." He chuckled, but I just frowned.

"You don't have to do that." My voice felt like it was stuck in my throat.

"Yeah, I do." He picked his wallet up out of the console.

I gaped at him, "because you're the guy?"

"That's-" he sighed, "that's not what I meant. I want to pay. Can we go inside, please?"

"Fine." I opened the door and hopped out into the parking lot, careful not to put too much pressure on my ankle. Noah handed me my crutches from the back seat and I followed close behind him as he walked into the restaurant.

He held the door for me. "After you."

"Thanks."

Noah walked up to the host desk where a beautiful girl stood, eyeing him up and down. Her name tag read Ivy. What Noah was doing with a girl like me? Most of the time I didn't feel pretty and Noah was used to dating pretty girls. His dating history was evidence enough. Why wasn't he with someone like Ivy?

"Hi, I have a reservation for Noah Wayland."

She picked up two menus. "Right this way." She led us back to a private table in the corner. "Best table in the house." She winked at Noah.