Chapter Nineteen: Surprise Attack

Start from the beginning

He gestured, and I realized he was right. Dakota had said the year before taught. If I was going to see him there, I was definitely washing up. Plus, after a morning or mucking out stalls, I was sure I smelled terrible.

"Thanks for the reminder," I told Carter.

Nodding, he closed his eyes. "I'll stay here a little longer."

Mounting Fawn, I urged him to break into a canter. He happily obligated, having no trouble navigating to the stables.

After hanging his tack on the wall and letting him loose in the fields, I jogged to my room.

Carefully unwrapping the bandages, I took a brief cold shower in the washroom. Changing from my stable hand clothing to my everyday wear, I checked my reflection in the water.

I was about to rebandage my head when I took a closer look.

There was no wound on the side of my head.

What in the world?

I knew I had one, but all I saw now was a faint scar. What was up with me and my injuries?

No time now, I had to get to the archery range. I didn't like being late with the Feline and didn't like being late now.

Shifting into my second form, I made my way to the field. This time, I remembered where the range was, managing not to get lost.

The only ones present at the range were Isaac and the Head Huntress Rita.

A bit let down, I couldn't find Dakota anywhere.

No matter.

Or at least that's what I told myself.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed four dark-clad figures from out of the trees, surrounding us.

Pulling out both of my knives, I took a defensive position. "Head Huntress! Isaac!" I called but got no response. Neither of them looked my way.

What was wrong with them?

Momentarily distracted, I barely dodged a swing from one attacker.

I had to lead them away from the others.

Blocking an oncoming punch, I retaliated with a kick to his side. The opponent crumpled, gasping for air under his mask.

"That's gotta hurt," I muttered.

With my back turned, another twisted my arms backward, forcing me to drop my weapons as I hissed in pain. He or she might have my arms, but not my legs.

Kicking them up to my chest while jumping, I flipped, making whoever was holding me flip with me. The attacker slammed into the ground, eyes dazed behind her mask. Had she been any heavier, I couldn't have pulled off that move.

The remaining two now circled me warily like vultures, staying back.

"Come at me," I taunted, trying to bait them into doing something rash. "Two against one. No worries, right?"

From the look they shared, they were going to rush me at the same time. It was the only plausible thing to do at this point.

Quickly ruling out possibilities, my mind raced for options.

There was no way I'd be able to regain my knives without leaving an opening. No makeshift weapons in sight. Huntress Rita and Isaac wouldn't help, so that was out.

Looks like this would be a regular old fist fight.

My specialty.

You didn't think that being kicked around by my dear parents taught me nothing, did you?

As expected, the two charged, one from each side, converging on me.

"Well, this complicates things," I mused to myself.

Dropping low to the ground, I threw my legs outward, tripping one of them. Elbowing her in the ribs for good measure on the way down, I whacked her in the side of the head with a nearby branch. Facing the last attacker, I growled.

First raised, we circled.

Giving no warning, he threw a fast jab to my chin, sending me reeling.

Wiping the blood off my mouth, I smirked. "Are we resorting to that now? Alright, this is more my speed."

Lunging forwards while speaking, I shifted, tackling the remaining attacker. Snarling, I opened my mouth, my fangs hovering over his neck.

Inches away.

Green eyes stared hatefully back at me, and I tried to remember where I'd seen that exact shade before.

Stepping off and shifting back to human fluidly, I snatched the mask off his face, confirming my suspicions.

"Dakota?!"

(Side Note: I'm just curious, but who do you guys prefer more? Carter? Or Dakota? Maybe it's time to take sides...)