Chapter One

Chelsey

one year later

“Hey, Chels, wait up!” calls Cay, my little sister. “You're gonna leave me!” I stop walking so that she can catch up. “You always leave me” she says mournfully, when she reaches my side.

“Sorry” I say. “I just walk fast.”

“It's weird” Cay says, wrinkling her nose. I laugh.

“Is not!” I say. “Come on, you want to get to the party, right?” She nods happily, and we start off again, Cay making sure she keeps to my side.

We're heading to her best friend's birthday party, across town. Cay's been talking about it for months.

“So guess what?” she says, looking up at me with her big blue eyes as we walk. “One Direction's coming to Dublin!”

“And you think Mum and Dad can afford tickets?” I ask her. I don't mean to be rude, but I know we've fallen on hard times recently. I doubt I'll be able to afford university next year, when I'm old enough.

“I know” she says, sighing. “But still. You know, you're lucky to be adopted. Maybe you have rich parents!” I laugh.

I've known I was adopted since I was ten, and asked Mum why I looked nothing like her or Dad. She sat me down and told me that she adopted me when I was four. My older brother, Jay, was adopted as well. Mum and Dad had thought they couldn't get pregnant, and then when I was nine, they had Cay. She's eight years old now, in Year Six at the local primary school.

We live in Skerries, a little ocean town in County Dublin. I've lived here pretty much my whole life. I love it, too. Our house is right by the ocean, painted bright, sky blue, my favourite colour. I've lived in that house since I was four. It's actually Mum's family's house, but she got it when she turned eighteen. Mum's parents died when she was twelve, and her aunt moved in to take care of her. Then her aunt moved out when Mum turned eighteen, leaving the house to Mum. It's been in our family for generations.

“Who knows?” I say to Cay. “I suppose it's alright.”

“What if you're descended from royalty?” Cay says, her eyes all lit up with some inner light. “That would be cool.”

Being adopted isn't that bad, really. Because I could be anyone's kid. I don't know. So I can pretend that maybe someday some superstar will come and tell me that he's my dad or something.

“It would” I say. We turn down the street with Cay's school on it.

“Tell Mum about One Direction” Cay tells me, as we reach the school building.

“You can tell her when you get home” I say. “Have a good day!” Cay waves at me, before running into the building.

I turn around and head home.

Cay loves this boyband, One Direction. They came out of the UK X-Factor less then a year ago, and she's been in love ever since. I don't quite get the obsession, but they are sort of cute, I suppose.

Something about Harry Styles, though. I don't know. I feel this weird . . . connection. I'm convinced it's just 'cause we have the same colour eyes. And hair. But that's it with weird similarities. Oh, and dimples. I have dimples. But that's all. I mean, we don't look that alike.

Cay thinks we look alike. She really wants us to be related. I think it's only because she wants Harry Styles to show up at our house and say that he had a twin sister.

I guess it would be twin, if we were related.

But I don't know my birthday.

My parents, my birth parents, I mean, never told anyone, I guess. I don't know. When my Mum told me I was adopted, she said that the birthday I had been celebrating for six years, May 12, wasn't my birthday. She just said that nobody knew when my actual birthday was, just the year I was born.