04. the other side of heaven

Start from the beginning

Snap out of it Jeongguk, he thinks, horrified. Don't think about boys in that way. Nodding obediently to his mother's request, he gestures Taehyung up the staircase, regretting of even thinking of him in such a gross way. It's the first time it's ever happened, and certainly, it's going to be the last.

▂▂▂▂▂

Upon reaching Jeongguk's bedroom, he does his best to not meet Taehyung's eye. Taehyung seems to notice the tension once he shuts the door behind them both, making Jeongguk flinch realizing his chance of escape is far from reach. Fear widening his eyes, Jeongguk opens his mouth to explain but Taehyung beats him.

"What's bothering you sport?" Taehyung asks innocently, concern drawing his brows into a bunch.

He watches as Taehyung approaches him, the boy stopping right before his knees. Jeongguk slowly tilts his head up, cowering slightly beneath Taehyung's strong gaze on him. He feels his breath shallowing, his heart running wild he can feel it hammering against his ribs. Though he wills himself to not let his thoughts drift to sinful thoughts, Taehyung's presence enough to make him uncomfortable.

"Am I making you anxious?" He asks quietly, his fingers drifting beneath Jeongguk's chin. His touch is calloused, rough against his skin. Jeongguk's eyes flutter shut when Taehyung runs a thumb across his lips, but realizing his mistake, Jeongguk swats him away.

"No, you're not," Jeongguk clears his throat, removing Taehyung's touch with his free hand. "I'm just... a little confused." He admits softly.

Taehyung only hums. Jeongguk scoots to the side feeling the bed beside him dip down with the other's weight. He ignores the faint pitter-patter of his heart, his fingers clenching around the bedsheets to calm himself. A few days ago, he defended Taehyung from Jason accusing him of being a faggot, so why, why is he afraid? Why is his own heart racing with him sitting right next to him when he's told himself Taehyung is normal?

"Why are you confused?" He questions, worry lacing his vowels. Jeongguk merely shrugs, the explanation on his tongue melting along with his courage. "I don't know."

"C'mon sport. You can't be confused for no reason," Taehyung chuckles gently, the sound melodious to Jeongguk's ears. Jeongguk finds himself wishing to hear it again and again, but of course, in a completely platonic way. It's just so effortlessly beautiful, so carefree in a way he can't explain.

"I mean, well, you know how I saw you earlier today? I'm confused about that," Jeongguk begins, cringing when his thoughts drift to the inappropriate image of Taehyung's mother.

"You looked tired, yet here you are, having dinner with us. Plus you address her rather informally! I can't believe she's actually your mom," Jeongguk chuckles half-heartedly. He then feels Taehyung tense beside him, though the laugh that slips past his lips is different. It's more forced, more colder - angry almost.

It prompts a chill to run down Jeongguk's spine, and goodness, Jeongguk's never felt so interested in the mystery of Kim Taehyung.

"Rachel isn't fit to be a mother," Taehyung remains vague, his words restrained behind a barrier of privacy Jeongguk has no intention of stepping into. "She used to work a lot in the city and drinks. She's quite the money whore too, so I don't really know why my father hasn't ditched the damn witch yet."

"You're saying she cheated?" The younger frowns. Taehyung nods stiffly, "Mm. She's had a lot of affairs over the past three years."

"Th-That's a sin," Jeongguk's eyes widen in shock, remembering how his town is against adultry in any form. Whether it be a drunken one-night stand or a consensual affair, it's still a sin that must be corrected with the guidance of God. Adultry is adultry - there's no excuse to justify a person cheating on their spouse.