Friends - Hanji's Birthday

If someone asked someone to list all the Scout Regiment's officer's birthdays, they would have trouble finding one person's birthday. It surprisingly wasn't Levi, for those who were big fans of him, knew very well when his birthday was. Plus, it wasn't hard to forget, considering his birthday is on Christmas. No, it was fourth squad leader Hanji Zoe that one would have trouble finding out.

 No one knew when her birthday was. She never said anything about it. Nor did Hanji get excited when the time came. She just simply stayed quiet about it, or- and this has happen many times now- she'll forget about her birthday. 

 When Levi walked into Hanji's room the first of September and found her doing paperwork, he asked her a question. "Hanji, when is your birthday?" Levi asked. 

 Hanji gave a confused look at Levi as she tried to remember when her own birthday was. "Why'd you ask?" 

 "I've been in the Scout Regiment for a year, yet, I still haven't seen you make a big deal out of it like you did when we were kids," Levi pointed out. 

 "Oh... well, you don't have to worry about it or buy me a present, Levi," Hanji began. "It's not that important anyways." 

 Levi raised an eyebrow in question. He wondered why Hanji wasn't big on the idea of people knowing when her birthday is, yet, she has to tell everyone how her Titan experiments were going. "Tch, I don't get you, Four-Eyes," Levi said. "You talk to everyone about Titans, but when I ask about your birthday, you simply wave it off like it's nothing." 

 "I just don't want people to worry about getting me something, that's all," Hanji said. "Plus, what would I do with the gifts anyways?" 

 "You have changed a lot," Levi said suddenly. 

 Hanji turned around on her chair so she was facing him. "Well the last time you saw me I was eight. And I'm not the only one here who has changed, Levi. Plus, I can't stay 4'2 forever now. A human body changes, even without one's consent." Hanji said.

 "Tch, smart-ass," Levi muttered, turning around from Hanji. "By the way, all of that paperwork is due tomorrow," he told her and walked out the door.

-------

 Hanji ran from her room to Levi's office the next day before dinner. She hadn't slept at all that night because she was up researching and doing the paperwork, so she tripped on her own feet a couple of times as she ran. 

 "Levi! Levi! Levi!" Hanji would chant as she reached to his office, hoping he was there. Luckily when Hanji opened the door, he saw him in there, cleaning his desk. "I got it!" Hanji exclaimed. "I got the paperwork done!" 

 "Four-eyes, you do not need to yell," Levi stated with an annoying expression. Hanji slapped the papers down on his desk before she ran out the door, leaving Levi with a confused look. But at the same time, Levi was glad Hanji left quickly, or she would have noticed something under his chair. 

 With a sigh, Levi picked up the brown box and set it down on his desk, next to the paperwork Hanji left. He then grabbed a green wrapping paper from a drawer and began wrapping the square box. 

 He never forgot her birthday. Levi always remember, even when he left with that man and was left in the Underground city to rot. And now that he has a second chance at being her friend and at life, he wasn't going to fuck it up.

 When Levi finished wrapping the present, he put a blue bow on it and stored it in his closet until September 5th. 

---------

 It seemed time wanted to take their time, which annoyed Levi a lot since he was anxious the past four days. Many times he wanted to change his mind about giving the present to Hanji and pretended not to know it was her birthday, but he had already hurt her many times, even though he didn't intend to.