Friends - The Beginning

It was Hanji's first day of school. She was excited and happy, yet scared and nervous. She was excited and happy because she got to hang around other kids her age but was scared and nervous because she didn't know if she'll make a friend.

Hanji pushed her glasses back up to it's original spot, but then slid down a bit. She smiled as she found her name on a desk and sat down. Her seat was on the last column on the second-to-last row. Behind her was a kid with black hair and showed no expression. Hanji smiled at him and waved.

"Hi! My name is Hanji Zoe, what's your name?" Hanji asked with a smile across her face.

The kid looked at Hanji for a moment before responding. "I'm Levi." He said.

"Nice to meet you Levi." Hanji smiled. Just then, a girl named Leah had found her spot, which was located next to Hanji's seat.

"Ew. I can't sit next to this freak." Leah said. Leah and Hanji lived in the same neighborhood. Leah didn't like how Hanji wore glasses and she didn't like how she was so interested about nature and titans, so she called Hanji a freak because of it. Hanji didn't understand why Leah judged her curiosity.

A couple of laughs came from the other kids and Hanji knew right there that the school year was going to be very hard.

A month later...

"I'll be handing back your science test from Friday." Hanji's teacher said. She eventually got to Hanji and handed her test back. "Nice job, Hanji. You got the best grade." The teacher said before leaving to turn in another test.

"Wow, not only are you a freak but you're also a nerd." Leah said. The kids around began to laugh at Hanji. She didn't understand why Leah had to be so mean and why the other kids laughed at her.

"You're so ugly I don't even know how your parents could deal with you." Leah laughed and then the other kids began to laugh even harder. By now, class was dismissed and Hanji quickly headed home, only to be harassed by Leah and the other children.

Hanji could feel the tears come out. "Oh, is Hanji Zoe crying? What a cry-baby." Leah said. All the other kids laughed and Hanji ran away.

Tears began to flow and her vision got blurry because of it. She ran and ran until her tiny legs couldn't run anymore.

Hanji then realized she was in a field by a tree. She didn't know how she got there, but she did. She collapsed on the ground and began to sob her heart out.

"All I want is a friend." Hanji said to the wind. The breeze gently blew as if responding back.

Suddenly, Hanji felt someone tap her on her head. She looked up and saw Levi.

Levi was the only kid in the class who never laughed at Leah's rude comments about Hanji. He thought what Leah said about Hanji was dumb and that she was jealous since Hanji got the perfect grades in everything.

"Oi, why are you crying, Hanji?" Levi asked.

"I-I'm not crying, just got allergies." Hanji said while wiping away the tears quickly.

"If you got allergies then why are you pleading for a friend and not an allergy pill?" Levi asked. Hanji sniffed a little bit and looked at the ground. She brought her knees up to her chest and hugged herself.

Levi sighed. "Don't listen to what the dummy says. She's just jealous that you're smart and pretty." Levi said.

Hanji looked up. "D-did you just call me pretty?" Hanji asked, making sure she didn't misheard what Levi had said.

"Yeah. Why?" Levi asked.

"Leah says I'm ugly and the others agree." Hanji said.

"Freckle-face Leah can shut up because she is wrong. And like I told you before, she's just jealous about you. That's why she picks on you." Levi said.