Chapter 12 - Racing

So apparently, the two avians looking after them had no CLUE about details on them... other than element and gender... even when they had been clearly saying their names... that or Sky THOUGHT they'd said their own names in front of them. Apparently not. 

"We should introduce ourselves! You know, since we're going to be sticking together because we were told to." Twilight suggested, hands waving around in front of her. The boy, Akira, seemed bored and uninterested in the dragons... surprisingly. "Ignore Akira! He's this way all the time, with everyone."

"Well it seems like he swallowed a dung beetle." Sky yawned. She looked at Twilight and Windstrike who were staring at her. "What? Term Duststorm told me for people who seemed to be secluded away or seek solitude... cause they're ashamed or something? He never told me full details, he calls Sparktail that when she needs a full-on bath and wash... Fire Dragons HATE water. That's what HE looks like." and Windstrike understood that reference and burst out laughing. Twilight still had no clue what she meant. "Nevermind I guess. It's a dragon term, a term dragons are likely to use." That she did understand.

"The name's Twilight, if you didn't know... and just in case. I'm a peregrine." 

"Ah! The wings help distinguish an avian's bird species, or do you call it subspecies, anyway... wings are what help distinguish you all from one another! Kinda like dragons. You saw Echo and Maya right? And me and Sky are both Sky Dragons, but we look COMPLETELY different!" Windstrike grins, proud to get his observations out of his head. "My name is Windstrike, oh and she's Sky. Maya is the hostile-angry dragon from before, and Echo was the confused one." 

Twilight elaborated on the details of Avian society and subspecies, while Windstrike did his best to elaborate on Dragon society, facts and subspecies... most of which Twilight was able to find an understandable reference to. Meanwhile, Sky was plotting to get Akira's attention, because she was sick of his lazing around and bored sighs. Then she noted a lot of Avians were trying to show off... or compete. That gave her an idea.

"So do Avians normally compete like that?" She asks him, trying to make sure she was out of earshot of Twilight and Windstrike. Akira barely paid the question much attention, took one quick look, and nodded. "So why don't you?" That got a response more than an eyebrow raise, hum, nod, shake of his head, or middle finger. She got a laugh.

"Ha! Please. As if any one could try and out fly me!" Sky rolled her eyes, and looked back at the competing group to see the peregrine dive and speed up out of the blue... easily catching up to the Avian below who had a fairly BIG head start. "Yeah one thing about Avians, it's kind of a rule we aren't supposed to do... but not a REAL one."

"Oh yeah? What may THAT be?" Sky said, sarcastically and paying more attention to the Avians.

"Never try to out dive a peregrine, they'll catch you in an instant. That's one of their strongest and best skills... though that extra speed can send them to a painful crash on the ground if they're not careful. Do you have a dragon species like that? Or is it element?"

"Element, and yes. Sky Dragons are the BEST fliers there are!" She could notice Akira was starting to get what she meant.

"You thinking you can out fly an Avian?" Both teenagers smirked, and took off in an instant. By the time Twilight and Windstrike noticed, they were already at altitude point to see who was the better flier.

----------------------------------------------

"TWILIGHT!" Commander Skystrike boomed from behind them. Yelping and bolting to their feet, both turned to face him and the small group of soldiers. "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE KEEPING AN EYE ON THE DRAGONS! WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE TO YOU?!" He hisses, pointing at the sky. They finally noticed Sky and Akira at altitude point. A crowd of Avians was surrounding the Central Square, pointing up to and whispering to one another. However, one seemed to be playing an commentator's role.