Part 1 Nothing Ever Changes- Chapter 3 An Unexpected Surprise

"What's this?" I asked Sam as I picked up a book with a piece of paper sticking out from the box that I was helping him un-pack the Saturday after I had met him. Over the past week we had become very close, and spent almost every moment together. He was almost like the best friend I never had.

"It's nothing special, just a box of books," he said as he folded a grey tee shirt and put it in a drawer of his brown wooden dresser.

"No, not that, this in the back of the book," I said. I gave the book a good look over and realized that it was in the ancient langue. This puzzled me considering he knew nothing about the world of magic including our language.

"Oh, that. My dad sent it to me for my 16th birthday, I can't understand it though," he said as he turned back around like it was no big deal.

"I can," I said, forgetting about the piece of paper in the back. Sam turned around gave me a look of curiosity and I realized I had to explain. "Here we learn how to speak the ancient language which is what this is written in," I explained as I flipped through the pages of the book. It looked rather old and fragile, so I was very careful with it.

"Cool, maybe you can help me understand it," he said as he peered at the book over my shoulder.

"Maybe," I said as I went to set the book down. As I set it down I noticed the piece of paper sticking out of the back again. "What's this?" I asked him.

"Did we not just go over this?" he asked in a very confused voice.

"No, not the book this piece of paper sticking out of the back?"

"What piece of paper? I have never seen a piece of paper in the back of that book before."

"This piece of paper," I said. "It looks like a map."

"Your right, it does look like a map, too bad that only every other word is English," he said as he took the piece of paper out of my hands.

"To bad for you maybe, but every other word is in the ancient langue, and if we can't figure it out then I know who can," I said.

"Who?"

"Tom," I said like he should have known.

We immediately headed over to Tom's room, when we got there him and Will were playing chess, and Tom had Will cornered as usual.

"No, You can't move there," said Tom to Will as we walked in.

"Ah, this should work," said Will.

"Nope, can't move there either," said Tom.

"Tom can you stop torturing my brother so we can talk to you," I said as I found a place to sit in his incredibly messy, book filled room. I hated going over there because the mess was always so bad. You could barely tell it was a bedroom. The floor was littered with dirty clothes and books were pilled so high you would think he was trying to build a fort out of them.

"Fine, now what is so important I can't drive your brother crazy?" asked Tom annoyed that we were pulling him away from his game. We then proceeded to tell them the whole story. Once we had finished they sat there for a few minutes before Tom finally answered us.

"I can try and figure it out, but..." just then Tom was interrupted by Alison, "one of them", who walked in to the room with out knocking. She always thought she was so special because she was one of Mr. Jones chosen few. Mr. Jones had a few chosen students that helped him do his biding. We called them The Chosen Ones. "There is an assembly in the auditorium in 5 minutes, everyone must attend, no exceptions," she said and walked out of the room. As soon as she left Sam looked over at Will, Tom, and I and saw the look of disgust on our faces.

"You guys don't like her do you?" he asked.

"Not one bit," we all said as we walked out of the room to go to the auditorium.

The auditorium was located on the other side of the school, so it took the entire 5 minutes to get there. As soon as we had taken our seats the assembly began. As normal it was about how we should never leave the school and if we were to try then we would be punished greatly. He then went on about how we all need to keep up the hard work, because if we do it will be rewarded very soon. He was always staying stuff like this. That is what lead us to believe that he had a very secret plan. Little did he know we were about to discover something that would change the course of history.